Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Historical currency in Numbers not working correctly

I have a spreadsheet that tracks stock values in their “native” currency and also in Euro, using yesterday’s closing price, via CURRENCYH to make the conversion. In the last few days it is giving an error that the date (yesterday) is invalid or in the future. I have to go back 3 days to get a reading. Note that I do not change the format of the date cell; in fact, I use (TODAY)-1 to get yesterday’s date, and (TODAY)-3 to get a valid reading.

Also, I’ve indicated this happens on my MacBook Pro (because I have to select something!), but it is also happening on my iPads.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 16, 2021 12:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2021 12:45 PM

It has finally (after more than a week) started to work.

For a short period of time today it worked only partially (some of the currencies were OK, some NOT), but as for now - it is working as it should.

Similar questions

20 replies

May 9, 2021 10:27 AM in response to iBacio

Are you experiencing this issue again? I find that this will work for a couple weeks, then stop working, then start again. It's really strange as it appears to only happen for Canadian funds and Canadian currency conversion; I can see here from Yahoo Finance that it's updated up through yesterday but not reflected in Numbers: https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/CADUSD%3DX/chart?p=CADUSD%3DX

The calculation I'm using is IFERROR(CURRENCYH("CAD", "USD",0,<<cell with date>>),0). Below you can see the lack of updates since 24 April:

Does it simply take over 2 weeks for the numbers to be accurately reflected?

Apr 16, 2021 3:50 AM in response to WKH

WKH wrote:

Thank you, but I’m actually tracking funds, and they are not tracked via stock symbols.

Not sure what you mean. Funds are tracked by symbols, the same symbols that are used in Yahoo! Finance. Again, I recommend you open the My Stocks template and enter the symbol you are using. See if it works in the template.

If it does work, then you know you need to debug something in your own document.

If it doesn't work, then double-check the symbol you are using by visiting Yahoo! Finance and seeing what is used there (Numbers gets its data from Yahoo! Finance.

If after checking everything and making sure the dates are for valid trading dates when quotations were available for that fund, then you can give feedback to Apple via Numbers > Provide Numbers Feedback in your menu. 'Bug report' is one of the feedback types.

From my experience Apple usually does not respond. But reports are read. A number of problems with CURRENCYH have been mentioned here in recent weeks. Many seem to have cleared up with a few days.

SG

Apr 16, 2021 3:53 AM in response to Badunit

WKH wrote:

Thank you, but I’m actually tracking funds, and they are not tracked via stock symbols.

Not sure what you mean. Funds are tracked by symbols, the same symbols that are used in Yahoo! Finance. Currencies are also tracked by. symbols. Again, I recommend you open the My Stocks template and enter the symbol you are using. See if it works in the template.

If it does work, then you know you need to debug something in your own document.

If it doesn't work, then double-check the symbol you are using by visiting Yahoo! Finance and seeing what is used there (Numbers gets its data from Yahoo! Finance.

If after checking everything and making sure the dates are for valid trading dates when quotations were available for that fund, then you can give feedback to Apple via Numbers > Provide Numbers Feedback in your menu. 'Bug report' is one of the feedback types.

From my experience Apple usually does not respond. But reports are read. A number of problems with STOCKH and CURRENCYH have been mentioned here in recent weeks. Many seem to have cleared up with a few days.

SG

Apr 16, 2021 9:24 AM in response to Carlos da Roza

I’m not using My Stocks template - that was a suggestion from another respondent, but that will not work for me.

there is a function called CURRENCYH (for currency historical) which allows you to get the exchange rate between two currencies on any given date, with options for Opening, Closing, High or Low rates on the day.

Apr 16, 2021 9:28 AM in response to WKH

I do track symbols, and I can get them in their stock exchange's currency. However, I do have to convert them into country's currency in order to establish book value for income tax purposes. I will also confirm that up until more recently, CURRENCYH has been reliably working. I am not certain when it went awry, but it was in the past month or two.

Historical currency in Numbers not working correctly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.