Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stock Quote is not working properly on Mac Numbers

Hello,

A couple of days ago my Numbers spreadsheet returned suddenly errors on many of my Stock Quotes cells.

In fact, almost in all cells where I have referenced European securities, I've got the following error "some data is unavailable". This error is apparently seen when looking for stocks registered on the European stock markets, such as Euronext Paris, Amsterdam, Xetra, Copenhagen Exchange..., but not on US stock markets.

First, I thought I mistakenly did something with my spreadsheet. So, I went through Time Machine to get a backup version of my file. Then, I've created another spreadsheet. I also uninstalled / reinstalled Numbers and deleted all the caches.

After this the problem persisted. Subsequently, I thought that this might be a linking type of problem. Since Numbers fetches information from Yahoo! Finance, there must be something wrong at that level.

I contacted Apple to share this information, however the support replied that there are no known issues from their part. Then, I contacted the Yahoo! Finance team to share this finding with them, but to no reply.

I wonder if this is solely a problem on my Numbers or if this has also been noticed by someone else ? If it is the case, do you reckon any solution or could you manifest yourself so if this problem is real we might eventually attract more attention ?

You can try and search for some European stocks using the Insert -> Stock Quote option in Numbers to confirm. Or else maybe try some of these : STOCK("FPE3.DE";0) or STOCK("PHIA.AS";0), or STOCK("AIR.PA";0), remember 0 is for the price attribute...

Eventually, it is good to see if the error results only in some countries and not all of them - For instance, people using numbers in Europe vs. in the US etc.

I've put a screen capture test spreadsheet to show the error I'm getting.

Thanks for advance for your help !

Best,

T

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Apr 16, 2021 5:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2021 5:27 AM

This is a such a commonly reported problem they should make it a sticky at the top of the list.

Yahoo Finance provides the data. It has problems. Wait a few days and it should clear up. Alternatively you can use Google Sheets (which does not use Yahoo) instead of Numbers or use Google Sheets to gather the data then copy/paste it to Numbers.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 16, 2021 5:27 AM in response to Twanix

This is a such a commonly reported problem they should make it a sticky at the top of the list.

Yahoo Finance provides the data. It has problems. Wait a few days and it should clear up. Alternatively you can use Google Sheets (which does not use Yahoo) instead of Numbers or use Google Sheets to gather the data then copy/paste it to Numbers.

Apr 18, 2021 12:02 AM in response to Twanix

…they probably should…

Hi Twanix,

Wrong audience. This is a user-to-user community, and isn't read by the 'they' that could do what you've suggested. Apple leadership, and Apples application development teams don't actively participate in the user-to-user discussions in these communities.

But you can send your suggestion/request directly to Apple using the Provide Numbers Feedback menu item in the Numbers menu to send a Feature Enhancement request.

Regards,

Barry

Stock Quote is not working properly on Mac Numbers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.