Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I use FaceTime on my new Mac Air, the internet connection kicks out and causes my internet to shut down. I have to reset the system to get it to work again. This does not happen when I use fictive on an iPad or iPhone. What's wrong?

Has anyone had internet problems with FaceTime on the new MacBook Air?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Apr 20, 2021 8:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2021 8:29 AM

Hello SWWD! Thank you for participating in the Apple Support Communities.

We understand that whenever you use FaceTime with your Mac, your internet connection drops, and you have to restart your Mac before you can reconnect. We'd like to look into this with you to see how we can help.

To clarify, do all devices disconnect from the internet when this happens, or just your Mac?

Is your Mac up to date with the latest macOS? You can use the following resource to help determine that: How to update the software on your Mac

Make it a great day!

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 21, 2021 8:29 AM in response to SWWD

Hello SWWD! Thank you for participating in the Apple Support Communities.

We understand that whenever you use FaceTime with your Mac, your internet connection drops, and you have to restart your Mac before you can reconnect. We'd like to look into this with you to see how we can help.

To clarify, do all devices disconnect from the internet when this happens, or just your Mac?

Is your Mac up to date with the latest macOS? You can use the following resource to help determine that: How to update the software on your Mac

Make it a great day!

Apr 21, 2021 10:17 AM in response to SWWD

Hello SWWD! It is interesting that the whole network is affected, and not just your Mac, when you try to use FaceTime on your Mac. Your next best step will be to connect with your Internet Service Provider to see if there is a cap on your internet bandwidth that is being exceeded. If so, they may have some suggestions.

Alternatively, you can try connecting to another network that doesn't have a capacity limit to see if the issue persists: Connect your Mac to the internet using Wi-Fi

Cheers!

Apr 21, 2021 9:10 AM in response to ryane77

My new MacBook Air with M1 chip is up to date with the latest version on Big Sur. My whole internet goes down and I have restart the system. This does not happen when I use FaceTime on my iPhone. It does not happen when I use zoom or other meeting software. If I were to guess, it’s like I’m exceeding the capacity of my internet connection with FaceTime on my Mac air.

Apr 28, 2021 4:51 AM in response to MrHoffman

After continued testing, I’ve learned that FaceTime on my MacAir is a bandwidth hog. So much so that it kicks out my system. The version of FaceTime for my iPhone 10 does not do that. Where I’m located, I have the largest bandwidth available. Too bad for me, but I like using my MacAir with FaceTime. So far, this is the only glitch if found in my use of the computer.

When I use FaceTime on my new Mac Air, the internet connection kicks out and causes my internet to shut down. I have to reset the system to get it to work again. This does not happen when I use fictive on an iPad or iPhone. What's wrong?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.