Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Malware/anti-virus & Email security

I'm looking at purchasing malware/anti-virus software for my desktop Mini and also for my Mom's Mini, and am looking for recommendations that don't cost an arm and a leg.

In addition, my Mom's email was spoofed and her email account ended up being suspended, so I am wondering if there is a malware/anti-virus software that will help prevent that in the future?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Apr 25, 2021 11:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2021 12:05 PM

Another, DON'T.

There are no Mac viruses. None. There's nothing for AV software to look for. There are plenty of Trojans, which is any type of malware that requires the USER to do something that allows it to get installed. No AV software will make even the slightest attempt to stop you from doing so. AV software is utterly useless.

Scammers spoof emails addresses all the time. There's no AV software in the world which can prevent that since it has nothing to do with your computer to begin with. My business email got suspended for a short time because scammers had seriously abused it for their garbage. Once blacklisted, they immediately move on to someone else's address. I had to go through a few verification steps to get my address cleared again.

She can either create a new email account, or try to get her account cleared. Start here if she prefers the latter.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 25, 2021 12:05 PM in response to cdale

Another, DON'T.

There are no Mac viruses. None. There's nothing for AV software to look for. There are plenty of Trojans, which is any type of malware that requires the USER to do something that allows it to get installed. No AV software will make even the slightest attempt to stop you from doing so. AV software is utterly useless.

Scammers spoof emails addresses all the time. There's no AV software in the world which can prevent that since it has nothing to do with your computer to begin with. My business email got suspended for a short time because scammers had seriously abused it for their garbage. Once blacklisted, they immediately move on to someone else's address. I had to go through a few verification steps to get my address cleared again.

She can either create a new email account, or try to get her account cleared. Start here if she prefers the latter.

Apr 25, 2021 12:22 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thank you for sharing. My mom (in her 70s) sometimes has trouble determining which emails are legitimate and which are not so I think she clicked on something she should not have. Unfortunately this will probably be a recurring problem with her computer as she gets many spam emails that pose as legitimate companies or even her sister, as her sister's account gets spoofed regularly.

Apr 25, 2021 1:13 PM in response to cdale

cdale wrote:

Thank you for sharing. I think I will print it out and give to Mom. Sometimes she clicks on things she shouldn't, thinking they're legitimate, and unfortunately I don't live near to fix things as often as she would like.

Three things you can do:

(1) Set her up as a standard user, not administrator. This will not prevent everything but will help prevent some.

(2) Instruct her NEVER to click on any link in an email without first contacting you, e.g. describing it on the phone or forwarding the email to you first. Kind of tedious but maybe will help "train" her.

(3) Have your sister insert a custom signature (it could just be one word, or show a middle initial) for her legitimate emails. If an email is received "from her" that doesn't have that, whoever gets it will be alerted that it could be an imposter.

Apr 25, 2021 1:36 PM in response to steve626

(0) Get Time Machine configured and running. if you have the budget for it, via NAS with Time Machine support. That NAS gets the backup located further away from the computer. Out of coffee spill range, etc. Otherwise, via locally-connected hard disk storage. Probably 4 to 6 TB, or so.

... {good list, above} ...

(4) Set up mail rules that automatically file all arriving messages with attachments from any unrecognized mail senders as spam. I’d consider setting all mail from unrecognized senders to be treated as spam; for all arriving mail, save for that mail either with addresses in the address book, or previously emailed.

(5) Set up your own admin login, with your own password. This as a means of access if the main accounts are somehow blocked.

(6) Get iCloud Keychain configured for password storage. Because passwords get forgotten. And because iCloud Keychain won’t enter credentials into phishing websites.

(7) In Safari, disable automatically opening of “safe” attachments.

Malware/anti-virus & Email security

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.