You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

iOS 18 is now available

Customize your iPhone in more ways than ever, stay connected with friends and family, and relive your favorite moments. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

CarPlay on 2021 Chevy-Chevrolet Bolt EV does NOT work with iPhone 12 Pro iOS 14.5

I have specs below and yet CarPlay still heavily crashes/stalls upon plugging into Bolt via USB. Really frustrating.

Works seamlessly for my wife's iPhone 12 mini when plugging in and she has latest iOS too.

Not sure what's going on or how to fix.

Anyone have any ideas?

I have the newest hardware, software and model year of Bolt.

• iPhone 12 Pro
  • iOS 14.5
  • 2021 Chevrolet Bolt EV Premier

iPhone 12 Pro

Posted on Apr 26, 2021 3:16 PM

5 replies

Apr 27, 2021 11:39 AM in response to miserable405

Hey miserable405,

Thanks for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. You've provided great details to help us troubleshoot CarPlay and your iPhone 12 Pro.

You mentioned that iOS is up to date on your iPhone as well as your wife's iPhone. Does she use a different USB cable or port in the vehicle? Does CarPlay work as expected if you do?

The following support article has some settings and troubleshooting steps that may help: If you need help with CarPlay - Apple Support

Let us know how it goes! Take care.

Apr 27, 2021 11:59 AM in response to bbesspete

Thank you for reaching out. Same USB cable port in Bolt vehicle.

Her CarPlay experience connects and works all smooth as normal.

Mine stalls and lags and takes an extraordinarily long time (10 to 15 minutes) to "settle" before it becomes usable and even then it's very slow and laggy. It's basically not usable and not working is my point.

Not sure what's going on. Do you think it has something to do within the iOS / CarPlay code?

May 18, 2021 10:02 AM in response to miserable405

I'm also having the same issue, with an iPhone SE on 14.5.1, and a 2020 Bolt LT. However, for me it only crashes when I attempt to use any of the CarPlay music controls - if I start playing on my phone, and control through my phone, it will continue to play through CarPlay and display as normal. As soon as I try to touch the Music icon or any controls through CarPlay, the Music app will crash on CarPlay. Podcasts work normally and do not have the same issue - it's limited to the Music app. The only change to any of my systems prior to this issue starting was the upgrade to 14.5.1.

May 18, 2021 10:54 AM in response to -christy__

Try the following workaround:

Connect the iPhone to CarPlay with flight mode activated. In this context, make sure that there is no connection to the Internet via Wi-Fi. Wi-Fi is not automatically deactivated with flight mode; you have to do this separately.

Open Apple Music on CarPlay and then disconnect the iPhone again.

Now the flight mode can be deactivated again and Apple Music should work as usual.

CarPlay on 2021 Chevy-Chevrolet Bolt EV does NOT work with iPhone 12 Pro iOS 14.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.