Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

moving logic pro sounds to an external drive

Hi all,

I recently installed a symlink program to I can transfer logic sounds to an external drive. There was not enough room on my internal hard drive to download all the sound libraries at once, so I downloaded the essential sounds, moved them to my external drive, created the symlink, and deleted them from my internal drive. So far so good.

Then I downloaded all the other sound libraries in Logic. They appear to be showing up on both drives right now. Can I just delete them from my internal drive?

thanks!

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on Apr 28, 2021 11:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2021 12:56 PM

A few things to keep in mind:

• The Relocate Sound Library procedure only applies to Logic's own sounds
    • Apple Loops are excluded from the relocation procedure 😡
    • Many third-party libraries let you choose any location/volume where you want to store the files 😀.
    • For any library that requires a specific boot drive location, you can use the same Symlink procedure to "outsource" the files to any other mounted volume

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 28, 2021 12:56 PM in response to Eriksimon

A few things to keep in mind:

• The Relocate Sound Library procedure only applies to Logic's own sounds
    • Apple Loops are excluded from the relocation procedure 😡
    • Many third-party libraries let you choose any location/volume where you want to store the files 😀.
    • For any library that requires a specific boot drive location, you can use the same Symlink procedure to "outsource" the files to any other mounted volume

Apr 28, 2021 12:30 PM in response to Slygroovis

Slygroovis wrote:

Can I just delete them from my internal drive?

Yes.

To double-check, just move the files to the Trash first. Now you can load a file and see if Logic follows the Symlink and loads the file, or if it complaining because it still looks at the original location on your book drive.

If everything is working fine, go ahead and empty the Trash.

Worst case scenario, you can download the Library Content at any time from the Apple Server.

Hope that helps,

Edgar R. (my "UserName")

Author of the best-selling book series "Graphically Enhanced Manuals"

moving logic pro sounds to an external drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.