Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad keeps asking for previous owner's AppleID

I gave my mom my old iPad when I got a new one. I had erased it back to factory settings, then installed the apps I knew she would be using. I logged out of FindMy and iCloud on her device. She is logged in and can download new apps with her AppleID. When she tries to update any of the apps that I preloaded, it asks for my credentials. We deleted the app and downloaded it again but it asked for my AppleID. I had her signout of iCloud and back in with her credentials. I verified the device is not linked to my AppleID. Why does it keep asking her for my credentials?

iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi

Posted on Apr 29, 2021 5:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 29, 2021 6:06 AM

Purchased Apps (whether “free” or “paid”) are forever tied to the AppleID account from which the purchase is made - all downloads being digitally signed and associated with your AppleID. If you have installed Apps using your own AppleID prior to signing-out iCloud/Apple App Store, the installed Apps will be associated with your own AppleID - not your Mom’s.

If intending to use your devices (and AppleIDs) fully independently, you’ll need to re-purchase Apps installed on your Mom’s devices. As an alternative, consider App Sharing using Apple’s Family Sharing. These resources should be informative in resolving your immediate problems:

Family Sharing - Apple

Set up Family Sharing – Apple Support

Share App Store, iTunes Store and Apple Books purchases with Family Sharing – Apple Support

https://www.imore.com/how-set-up-family-sharing-iphone-ipad

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 29, 2021 6:06 AM in response to William Stamps

Purchased Apps (whether “free” or “paid”) are forever tied to the AppleID account from which the purchase is made - all downloads being digitally signed and associated with your AppleID. If you have installed Apps using your own AppleID prior to signing-out iCloud/Apple App Store, the installed Apps will be associated with your own AppleID - not your Mom’s.

If intending to use your devices (and AppleIDs) fully independently, you’ll need to re-purchase Apps installed on your Mom’s devices. As an alternative, consider App Sharing using Apple’s Family Sharing. These resources should be informative in resolving your immediate problems:

Family Sharing - Apple

Set up Family Sharing – Apple Support

Share App Store, iTunes Store and Apple Books purchases with Family Sharing – Apple Support

https://www.imore.com/how-set-up-family-sharing-iphone-ipad

Apr 29, 2021 6:45 AM in response to LotusPilot

Thanks for the response! How do we re-purchase installed apps? I had her delete the app from her iPad and then when she tries to download it again from the App Store, where she is logged in, it asks for my credentials. is there a way to force the iPad to recognize the new owner? In this case it is the free Disney+ App but there may be others. Would doing another factory reset and restore from iCloud do it?

Apr 29, 2021 6:50 AM in response to William Stamps

If your Mom is signed-in to iCloud and the Apple App Store with her own AppleID, simply deleting (or offloading the App) from the iPad removes the App. Having removed the App from the iPad, a subsequent attempt to download the App from the App Store, if not already purchased using the signed-in AppleID account, should trigger the standard App purchasing process.

iPad keeps asking for previous owner's AppleID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.