Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 12 pro transfer lost hundreds of photos

I recently got an iPhone 12 Pro to replace my iPhone 8 Plus and when the transfer took place I apparently lost hundreds of photos. The only way it appears to remedy this is to factory reset the phone and go to an older iCloud backup to restore. This is problematic since I spent hours after the transfer dealing with about 20 apps that wouldn't download after 24 hours of waiting. In fact, Pages, Numbers and the Apple Store apps were grayed out, but wouldn't let me delete them and re-download. I had to sign out of iCloud, then sign back in and restart my iPhone in order to finish correcting the apps issue. What's the point of having iCloud if it doesn't restore your data properly? I don't have time to set everything back up. I just sold my iPhone 8 Plus, which had been wiped. I'm so angry and frustrated with Apple right now! Who knows how many grand-baby photos or other cherished photos I've lost in this transfer, likely never to be recovered.

iPhone 12 Pro

Posted on Apr 29, 2021 4:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 29, 2021 5:22 PM

I think you did an iCloud restore and you didn't have iCloud photos turned on during the process. iCloud only restores items in iCloud such as a backup of your phone but it doesn't restore photos that were not in the cloud. if they were on they would automatically be there and would be attached to your apple ID. I don't think there is much you can do.

I hope you have a better experience with Apple in the future.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 29, 2021 5:22 PM in response to HomesRMyBiz

I think you did an iCloud restore and you didn't have iCloud photos turned on during the process. iCloud only restores items in iCloud such as a backup of your phone but it doesn't restore photos that were not in the cloud. if they were on they would automatically be there and would be attached to your apple ID. I don't think there is much you can do.

I hope you have a better experience with Apple in the future.

iphone 12 pro transfer lost hundreds of photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.