Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

While I am using Personal Hotspot my Photos in MacBook does not sync

Hello everyone,

A few days ago I decided to give a chance to Apple EcoSystem, so I bought iPhone and MacBook to test it out. As with every technology around the world, there are flaws in this EcoSystem as well. So far I am happy about the change, and I am learning new things and the problem I faced had solutions online but this one.

First of all, I am working usually from Home or traveling somewhere and most of the time I am using my mobile data as the main source of the internet. Here in Europe public wifi is not yet that widespread and also since I have an Unlimited Mobile data connection on my phone, I am using it for everything.

So far with the iPhone, I have no issues, with the MacBook I had view complications along the way but the only real issue I wasn't able to find a solution is that while I am connected to my Personal Hotspot my Photos don't sync with my iCloud. I tried all of the possible restart/reset/Logout>Login and nothing helped.

I tried to connect the MacBook to WiFi in my parent's place and the photos in 1-2 minutes were synced. So I tested it few times and always is working.

Does someone has the same issue and does someone has a solution for it?

Didn't notice any other issues during using Personal Hotspot, everything else working and seems to work as it supposed to.

Thank you

Martin

MacBook, macOS 11.3

Posted on May 2, 2021 8:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 2, 2021 10:43 PM

The Apple Support documents do no longer mention the restriction of iCloud Photos to Wi-Fi.

Is cellular connection or ethernet cable is supposed to suffice now as well, see:

Keep your photos safely stored and up to date on all of your devices - Apple Support

"When you're connected to the Internet, Wi-Fi, or a cellular network, your newest shots upload automatically and your edits update in real time. So you always see the latest version on your devices and online."

But you should ensure, that no third-party security software or firewall is blocking the connection to Apple's servers. Are you using a firewall or antivirus software? This could be blocking the access to the cloud servers.

On your iPhone check the Settings for cellular access. For example "Settings > Mobile Data > Options > Low data Mode" can stop the cloud syncing on a cellular connection.

And enable "Mobile Data" for Photos.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 2, 2021 10:43 PM in response to MartinChuchukov

The Apple Support documents do no longer mention the restriction of iCloud Photos to Wi-Fi.

Is cellular connection or ethernet cable is supposed to suffice now as well, see:

Keep your photos safely stored and up to date on all of your devices - Apple Support

"When you're connected to the Internet, Wi-Fi, or a cellular network, your newest shots upload automatically and your edits update in real time. So you always see the latest version on your devices and online."

But you should ensure, that no third-party security software or firewall is blocking the connection to Apple's servers. Are you using a firewall or antivirus software? This could be blocking the access to the cloud servers.

On your iPhone check the Settings for cellular access. For example "Settings > Mobile Data > Options > Low data Mode" can stop the cloud syncing on a cellular connection.

And enable "Mobile Data" for Photos.

May 4, 2021 3:22 AM in response to léonie

Hi Leonie,

After all, I contacted Apple support and their statement was:

The photos on the Mac will not update automatically when using the hot spot, but no worries! We can still download the photos from icloud.com on the Mac while using the hotspot and this will not cause any doubles of photos to be uploaded when the Mac is connected to Wi-Fi.

After my question, but why I am able to Sync my photos while I am using a hotspot started with my old phone (Samsung Note 9), it is still cellular data, just hotspot is started from another device, their answer was:

I do deeply apologize for any confusion or frustration this may be causing. The Android device does create their hotspot connections in a different way. As such using a hotspot with your Apple devices will not allow the iCloud Photos to sync, I do deeply apologize as I know this is not ideal.

So, after all, seems that is not a bug but Apple decision, but maybe I am wrong, I don't know, I am just hoping that this will be changed as soon as possible.

Thank you

Martin

May 3, 2021 1:53 AM in response to léonie

Thank you for your answer.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough with the explanation. My phone works as expected, my photos are uploaded to iCloud without issues using my Mobile Data. The problem is in my MacBook where the update of Photos is impossible and does not start if I am connected to Personal Hotspot, while I am connected to a different network (just another WiFi, does not matter what) the update of Photos via iCloud works without issues.

Uploading photos to iCloud via iPhone with LTE connection -> Works

Sync photos with WiFi (Every network except Personal Hotspot) on MacBook -> Works

Sync photos with WiFi connected specifically to Personal Hotspot > does not work

I am connected to a hotspot -> photos are not synced, I change the connection to another network - in few seconds photos shows that there are new photos to be updated and downloads them.

Actually, I noticed that while I am connected to a Personal Hotspot even the last time when was updated is old, so the sync cannot even be started.. Here is a screenshot where is visible that yesterday evening was the last update. New photos were updated in iCloud, I can see them on icould.com.

Thank you

Martin

May 2, 2021 9:26 PM in response to MartinChuchukov

Hello everyone

I have tested this with another phone, used the same internet for hotspot found the network as normal wifi, not "Personal Hotspot" and everything works. So the problem is somewhere in between Photos Application and Personal Hotspot. Maybe Photos has some hidden limitation/restriction data usage via personal hotspot...?

Can someone help?

Thank you

May 3, 2021 2:08 AM in response to léonie

Also, I forgot to mention, I believe that if I remove the iPhone from Apple ID, then the shared network is not shown as a personal Hotspot but just a simple WiFi network, photos will sync, and based on this I believe that the issue is related to function "Personal hotspot". Maybe is a problem in Photos while the mac is connected to the personal hotspot, or maybe is a problem in the Personal hotspot itself, not in Photos.

Any ideas?

Thank you

Martin

While I am using Personal Hotspot my Photos in MacBook does not sync

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.