Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can’t MacBook Pro update / download photos from iCloud using iPhone mobile hotspot

Why Photos on my MacBook Pro doesn't update & download photos from my iCloud whenever I am using my iPhone 13 5G mobile hotspot?

(BTW, I have a work mobile - 4G Pixel4 which has very limited data. )

If I use mobile hotspot created by my Google Pixel phone, my MacBook Pro DOES update & download photos even if it is 4G & Mobile hotspot.

So why not with using iPhone Hotspot??

Is there anyway I can download most recent photos - taken with iPhone, stored in icloud - to my MacBook Pro using Mobile Hot Spot created by my iphone13?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Mar 4, 2022 2:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 5, 2022 3:12 AM

The Apple Support documents do no longer mention the restriction of iCloud Photos to Wi-Fi.

A cellular connection or ethernet cable is supposed to suffice now as well, see:

Keep your photos safely stored and up to date on all of your devices - Apple Support

"When you're connected to the Internet, Wi-Fi, or a cellular network, your newest shots upload automatically and your edits update in real time. So you always see the latest version on your devices and online."

But you should ensure, that no third-party security software or firewall is blocking the connection to Apple's servers. Are you using a firewall or antivirus software? This could be blocking the access to the cloud servers.

On your iPhone check the Settings for cellular access. For example "Settings > Mobile Data > Options > Low data Mode" can stop the cloud syncing on a cellular connection.

And enable "Mobile Data" for Photos.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 5, 2022 3:12 AM in response to MrYWHouse

The Apple Support documents do no longer mention the restriction of iCloud Photos to Wi-Fi.

A cellular connection or ethernet cable is supposed to suffice now as well, see:

Keep your photos safely stored and up to date on all of your devices - Apple Support

"When you're connected to the Internet, Wi-Fi, or a cellular network, your newest shots upload automatically and your edits update in real time. So you always see the latest version on your devices and online."

But you should ensure, that no third-party security software or firewall is blocking the connection to Apple's servers. Are you using a firewall or antivirus software? This could be blocking the access to the cloud servers.

On your iPhone check the Settings for cellular access. For example "Settings > Mobile Data > Options > Low data Mode" can stop the cloud syncing on a cellular connection.

And enable "Mobile Data" for Photos.

Mar 5, 2022 3:05 PM in response to léonie

Thanks for reply.

However, my main issue isn't cellular network or mobile data.

The issue is 'Mobile (Cellular) Hotspot' Created by iPhone 13 pro.

My MBP is connected to internet over 'Mobile (Cellular) Hotspot' created using my iPhone13 Pro.

Unfortunately Photos app on my MBP doesn't download most recent photos from iCloud over (iPhone) mobile hotspot.

Silly thing is that I can stream 4k video, download music, play game but I cannot update MacOS software or download most recent photos from iCloud if I connect my MBP to internet over Mobile (Cellular) hotspot create using my iphone13 pro.

BTW, if I create a mobile hotspot with an android mobile phone, MBP thinks it is wifi network. So I only have problem with iPhone's mobile hotspot.

(Because of Floods & rains in Australia, I don't have access to fixed line internet at the moments but I do have good 5G network access with plenty of data allowance)

Why can’t MacBook Pro update / download photos from iCloud using iPhone mobile hotspot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.