Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Outdoor cycling not credited as exercise with Apple Watch series 6

Using my series 6 iWatch when I choose outdoor cycling it correctly tracks my route, heart rate and speed.

when I finish my bike route and finish the cycling tracking the activity rings are not updated.

if I cycle for 30 minutes I would expect 30 minutes to be added to the green exercise ring but they do not.

i have checked to see if the location services and watch settings are correct and seem to be.

the watch correctly tracks my route mileage and GPS shows my correct route. My average heart rate was 128 so it should register as exercise.

to close my rings I had to select the “other” exercise category and let it run for 33 minutes but my heart rate was 78 but it counted towards exercise and logged it properly.

I have searched this problem on apple discussions and the go to answer from apple is check certain settings but it doesn’t seem that’s the problem.

HELP, I’m trying to correctly track my exercise that’s why I bought this watch.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Apple Watch

Posted on May 2, 2021 12:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 20, 2021 6:45 AM

I have the same issue. At first I thought it was because I wasn’t getting my heart rate up enough on a fairly flat ride, but today’s was a nice hilly ride, my heart rate was up and was using the Apple workout app with my phone with me. Not really any help for you, but just to let you know you are not alone.

Similar questions

60 replies

Jul 23, 2021 4:56 AM in response to Ridesdeepsnow

Yes, again, this is not a great help but I have had the same problem over and over again with the walking and cycling. Yesterday I rode my bike for over two hours with plenty of difficult uphills, my average heart rate was in the 150s, my mileage was above 6mi in either direction. My exercise ring clocked in 24 mins. SMH I was so disappointed. So, later I put my watch on Mixed Cardio and went about regular activity that included sitting on the toilet for a few minutes and my ring closed. This is not right. Apple needs to change this immediately. This device is way to expensive and high tech not to be able to function properly. Very frustrating. And I feel like my fist gen watch tracked way better. So, this could be corrected in an update.

May 6, 2021 8:38 AM in response to better_half

I now recorded two more rides, one at 8.2 mph and the second 7.0 mph. They we both counted in as exercise time as well.

Did you check in the Health app, under Activity > Exercise Minutes > Show All Data > <pick a date>

if you see a continuous set of minutes recorded in there? It does not mention the workout but are there gaps in terms of timestamps?

Going up, I guess the Data Sources & Access section is fine too?

Its pretty odd that this happens with outdoor cycling only in your case.

Sep 8, 2021 12:56 PM in response to cesarfrommilwaukee

It says “Every full minute of movement that equals or exceeds the intensity of a brisk walk counts toward your daily Exercise and Move goals. “ so I would check what your average walking heart rate is in Apple Health. But I’ve noticed even when my heart rate is well above a brisk walk and into cardio, it doesn’t fully credit. The fitness expert I spoke to at Apple via telephone support said it also looks at pace. So even if your heart rate is up, if you have it matched what pace it thinks you should be going at it will not credit exercise minutes Nor could she explain an easy way to figure out what that magical pace is.

Oct 25, 2021 6:35 PM in response to Ridesdeepsnow

1. On the iPhone, please go to > Settings > Privacy > Location Services > System Services > Motion Calibration & Distance, and make sure that's enabled. More about that under the "Check your settings" part of this link: Calibrating your Apple Watch for improved Workout and Activity accuracy
  2. Please also go to the Apple Watch app on the iPhone > Privacy > Fitness Tracking, and make sure that's turned on as well. More about tracking workouts here: Track workouts and stay healthy with Apple Watch

May 5, 2021 10:31 AM in response to better_half

Yes I had my iphone with me. Calibration has nothing to do with it.

outdoor cycling is doing its job tracking my gps, heart rate and speed but it’s not pushing that data to the fitness exercise ring.

the included photo shows and exercise ring I set to daily 60 minutes, 2/3 of the green exercise ring has been filled from the 41 minute 2.08 mile walk but doesn’t show any exercise credit from the 4.39 mile bike ride.

May 6, 2021 1:11 AM in response to better_half

See below my respective results, same watch. This was a very easy short ride, but as you can see still fully credited.

Are all your other workouts working fine in this regard, or is this issue specific to outdoor cycling?

Have you thought of unpairing and re-pairing yet? That would bring your watch back to factory level settings, while keeping your apps and data intact. The first unpairing step is covered in here and then just follow by re-pairing afterwards.

Unpair and erase your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Here's also some detail how the backup works:

Back up your Apple Watch - Apple Support

For reference - before the ride:

After the ride:

More detail on workout:

Jul 5, 2021 12:50 PM in response to Ridesdeepsnow

I have the exact same issue. On Sunday we rode 12kms for 64 minutes. My average heart rate was 154 bpm. My exercise ring only credited me 9 minutes!!! So disappointing! I checked all the settings as well, everything is ok. It works fine with other types of workouts. Part of Apple's solution says to "let your arm swing naturally" but obviously if you're biking, your arm doesn't swing which I think is part of the problem. Apple needs to fix this. From now on, I will use the "other" workout. Very frustrating.

May 5, 2021 5:00 AM in response to Ridesdeepsnow

Have you calibrated your watch already:

Get the most accurate measurements using your Apple Watch - Apple Support

It is true that outdoor cycling will not collect as much exercise as "Other", if you stopped at traffic lights, lost GPS signal temporariry, or something like that. Did you wear your iPhone with you by the way? That can improve accuracy as well.

However some minutes should definitely be recorded in any case. If that is not the case, I would suggest unpairing and re-pairing to bring back the factory settings, while keeping your apps and data intact.

Jun 25, 2021 5:59 AM in response to sdarshan15

Nope. This is the most recent discussion I have found. It's weird that as a work out it records everything fine in Fitness, showing my avg. heart rate well into cardio, the time and distance, even the lovely map, the calories (which counts towards the Move goal), but not exercise. Clearly a software glitch. I'm reporting it here (and encourage others to): https://www.apple.com/feedback/watch.html

Jul 11, 2021 9:23 PM in response to Ridesdeepsnow

This happened to both me and my husband today while doing an uphill climb, logged as an outdoor cycling workout (see screenshot below). Only about 10 minutes of each our workouts counted towards exercise and it also seemed like it wasn’t counting as many active calories towards our move ring based on our heart rates. Super frustrating!

Outdoor cycling not credited as exercise with Apple Watch series 6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.