Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't log in to my ATT email on my iPhone

What do I need to do to get my email reloaded on my iPhone without getting ‘password is required’ error?

I have an iPhone 8. My email provider is ATT mail. 3 days ago I stopped receiving new emails and I ended up deleting my att email account on my phone and have attempted to add it back. I enter my name, email address and password I keep getting error

[Edited by Moderator]

Posted on May 3, 2021 5:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2021 3:54 AM

I had the same issue on my iPhone and iPad that were both working fine until about two weeks ago. I had three email accounts setup one iCloud and two AT&T accounts. The oldest AT&T account that I had for years was the one that quit working, but for some reason the newer account setup about two years ago kept working fine. Per AT&T instructions a while back said we had to start using a Secure Mail key instead of our password to access our email when using our Desktop PCs running Windows10, but using older 2007 Outlook software. I had to create these Secure Mail keys for my two ATT.net email accounts and my wife's account (she did not have this problem so far). So said in the AT&T instructions this Secure Key was not required in the newer Apple products running the latest iOS software. Yesterday I searched the Internet and found one response with the same problem and that person said he tried entering his Secure Mail key instead of the email account password and that fixed the problem. I finally tried that yesterday and it fixed my problem. Must be some change within AT&T that caused this problem. My newer AT&T email account is still using the original email account password and so far continues to work fine - go figure that out.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 4, 2021 3:54 AM in response to Usmc1975

I had the same issue on my iPhone and iPad that were both working fine until about two weeks ago. I had three email accounts setup one iCloud and two AT&T accounts. The oldest AT&T account that I had for years was the one that quit working, but for some reason the newer account setup about two years ago kept working fine. Per AT&T instructions a while back said we had to start using a Secure Mail key instead of our password to access our email when using our Desktop PCs running Windows10, but using older 2007 Outlook software. I had to create these Secure Mail keys for my two ATT.net email accounts and my wife's account (she did not have this problem so far). So said in the AT&T instructions this Secure Key was not required in the newer Apple products running the latest iOS software. Yesterday I searched the Internet and found one response with the same problem and that person said he tried entering his Secure Mail key instead of the email account password and that fixed the problem. I finally tried that yesterday and it fixed my problem. Must be some change within AT&T that caused this problem. My newer AT&T email account is still using the original email account password and so far continues to work fine - go figure that out.

May 25, 2021 7:57 AM in response to lise245

I think you may have to go to the AT&T support site and read the instructions on how to create and use the Secure Mail Key and use that in place of the password. I would first try to log on to the AT&T site to check your email using the Web Browser method to check email and make sure your logon ID and password are valid and working. If that works then try installing the mail app or inputting all the required data with the password. If that does not work then input the Secure Mail Key in place of the password.

I can't log in to my ATT email on my iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.