Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone so slow and laggy after the update of IOS 14.5.1

I noticed my iphone so slow and laggy since updated to IOS 14.5.1 according to their recommend.

1. all apps are slow and laggy
  2. Internet is so slow (now 6.23 Mbps download vs before over 200 Mbps.

does anyone have the same problem?

iPhone 7, iOS 14

Posted on May 4, 2021 6:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 25, 2021 5:51 AM

I installed IOS 14.6 this morning. it looks all apps/functions no longer slow or laggy.

However internet speed is slower than before (IOS 14.6: Over 200 Mbps) after the restated

internet speeds are ranged from 100 Mbps to 130 Mbps.

after having waited for 10 mins to 20 mins, it comes to the previous speed.

at this point, my phone doesn't have any issue after installing IOS 14.6

102 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 25, 2021 5:51 AM in response to ruffyoung

I installed IOS 14.6 this morning. it looks all apps/functions no longer slow or laggy.

However internet speed is slower than before (IOS 14.6: Over 200 Mbps) after the restated

internet speeds are ranged from 100 Mbps to 130 Mbps.

after having waited for 10 mins to 20 mins, it comes to the previous speed.

at this point, my phone doesn't have any issue after installing IOS 14.6

May 5, 2021 8:15 AM in response to ruffyoung

Hello ruffyoung,

After reviewing your post, it seems like you updated the iPhone and now the apps are being slow. There are a few things that can be contributing to this. We would recommend you use this article to help troubleshoot the issue.

About iOS performance on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Please don't hesitate to let us know if you need additional assistance.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. Have a nice day.

May 6, 2021 1:59 PM in response to ruffyoung

Hi ruffyoung,

One more thing to check is the battery condition. If the battery has degraded the CPU and GPU performance could be managed.

"This performance management works by looking at a combination of the device temperature, battery state of charge, and battery impedance. Only if these variables require it, iOS will dynamically manage the maximum performance of some system components, such as the CPU and GPU, in order to prevent unexpected shutdowns."

iPhone Battery and Performance

Cheers.

May 6, 2021 4:49 AM in response to mario49

HI

Why are you restarting the iPhone?

• As I noticed my phone so slow and laggy, and internet sluggish right after installed IOS 14.5.1, my first troubleshoot was forcing to restart my iphone. but it didn't work. so I forced to restart multiple times if my phone run normal condition.
  • for your reference, my phone (installed IOS 14.5) was working very fine before IOS 14.5.1.

Do you have multiple email accounts syncing to the iPhone?

• I only use gmail connected.

Does this happen when the iPhone is fully charged?

• yes fully charged. 100%

May 12, 2021 6:02 AM in response to ruffyoung

Hello. I too am having wi-fi issues, except instead of it running slowly, it keeps disconnecting me for no apparent reason. Also am having issues with connectivity in that when my phone restarts, it will take twice as long to connect to internet instead of the usual immediate connection (same issue applies when not restarting phone but resetting router as i am working remotely from home and this is impacting my ability to take calls for my job).

Same issue applies to apps as well...some apps i had no issue with opening in past ios updates, now i can't even open some of them as well.

Some other issues for me include:

• issues with sending text messages (message sent failure, please try again); also issues receiving text messages as well (they come in sporadically and sometimes multiples at once.
  • issues with calls coming in but phone isn't ringing (voice messages will show up hours later - also an issue with a previous update last fall which was successfully resolved until this ios 14.5 (or 14.5.1 update).
  • audio quality issues while making phone calls. some people cannot even hear me while i am on call or connection breaks up mid-call, or calls failed when trying to dial numbers.

any one else having additional issues besides these as well?

May 17, 2021 5:21 AM in response to PojieX

I tested that the issue still persists when I boot up my iphone without the connecting it to power charger.

So it's only solution at this point

Whenever you are going to restart your iphone, I recommend you use your power charger

1. Shut down your phone and leave it for about 1 ~2 mins.
  2. Plug in the power charger so that let it start automatically.

not sure if apple support is aware that IOS 14.5.1 version has issue. their customer support doesn't help at all.

May 18, 2021 5:25 AM in response to eddy7491

It looks the issue is more complicated than I described in basis of my case.

/** My Symptom Since installed to IOS 14.5.1 **/

1. my iphone 7 is not functioning as normal. (all apps, internet, phone's basic functions are so slow and laggy - almost not responsive right after the phone restarted.)
  2. After having waited for 20 to 40 mins from the restarted, my phone comes to normalcy.
  3. Whenever I force to restart my phone, I have to wait about 20 to 40 mins until it get back to be normal.

/** Temporary Solution to my case **/

1. if I use power charger being connected to my phone in order to restart, it seems my phone functioning normally as soon as rebooted. No needed to wait 20 to 40 mins. This is interim way to restart my phone at now.

your case seems that your phone doesn't come to normalcy even after 20 to 40 mins having been waited after the restarted. right?

May 6, 2021 2:12 PM in response to mario49

Hi Mario,

thanks for checking this with me.

my iphone 7 is the second time, which was bought in March of 2020 because my first iphone 7 had error "The iPhone “iPhone” could not be updated. An unknown error occurred (9)." I contacted Apple support for this issue. they couldn't do nothing.

I don't think any issue with my second iphone 7. But I am sure that IOS 14.5.1 is causing to old phones series. IOS 14.5.1 was released in rush due to security hole.

May 7, 2021 1:39 AM in response to ruffyoung

Hi I updated my iPhone to 14.5.1 last night and I’m having the same problems as you described. Although suggestions to help from others are well meaning, if your phone worked fine before you updated (as mine did as well with 14.5) surely the problem is within iOS 14.5.1 and will not be resolved until a new release? I have an older iPhone - 7, so unsure if that’s the problem??

May 7, 2021 2:57 AM in response to 31Mark

1) Apple Engineering is not here and does not read these forums. so appealing to Apple here literally does nothing. We are all just fellow Apple users.

2) As mentioned previously, for 24-48 hours after installing an update your phone will run slower as the phone rebuilds internal databases.

3) If you are running third party apps, those may need an update to operate properly with the new iOS version, so be sure to keep them updated.

iPhone so slow and laggy after the update of IOS 14.5.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.