Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photo view and transfer to desktop PC

As of May 2021, when I connect my iphone12pro to my HP desktop, I cannot open the JPG photos on my phone as I could before to transfer them onto my PC. Also all of my photo files on my phone are showing as empty on my PC even although the photos are still on my phone. They are not downloading onto icloud. Any solutions?

iPhone 12 Pro Max, iOS 14

Posted on May 4, 2021 8:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2021 8:09 AM

There are several ways to move photos from your iPhone to your computer. This article summarizes them→Transfer photos and videos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support. Note that they are mutually exclusive; if you sync photos to iCloud Photos that is the easiest way, but you then can’t download them with a cable.

So plan A is to enable iCloud Photos on your phone, and install iCloud for Windows on your HP. That way all of your photos will be on both your computer and your phone, and they will sync in near real time - if you take a new photo, it will be on your computer within a few seconds.

Plan B: If you don’t want to do that turn off iCloud photos on your phone, and follow the instructions in the above link. You must do it as described in the link; it won’t work consistently if you try to drag photos from the photo folders on the iPhone, because the photos on the phone are in an indexed database, not entirely within the folder structure.

You should also consider alternative or additional ways of preserving important photos. Here are a few suggestion:

• iCloud backup - only if you don’t use iCloud Sync, they are mutually exclusive
  • iTunes backup - only if you don’t use iCloud Sync, they are mutually exclusive
  • Transfer your photos to your computer via USB cable
  • Apple Photo Stream
  • Sync to Google Photos
  • Sync to some other photo archiving service such as Shutterfly
  • Sync to Dropbox
  • Sync to box.com
  • Sync to Microsoft OneDrive
  • Sync to Amazon Photos
  • back up to Livedrive
  • Backup to any other backup or archiving service

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 4, 2021 8:09 AM in response to Dajamac

There are several ways to move photos from your iPhone to your computer. This article summarizes them→Transfer photos and videos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support. Note that they are mutually exclusive; if you sync photos to iCloud Photos that is the easiest way, but you then can’t download them with a cable.

So plan A is to enable iCloud Photos on your phone, and install iCloud for Windows on your HP. That way all of your photos will be on both your computer and your phone, and they will sync in near real time - if you take a new photo, it will be on your computer within a few seconds.

Plan B: If you don’t want to do that turn off iCloud photos on your phone, and follow the instructions in the above link. You must do it as described in the link; it won’t work consistently if you try to drag photos from the photo folders on the iPhone, because the photos on the phone are in an indexed database, not entirely within the folder structure.

You should also consider alternative or additional ways of preserving important photos. Here are a few suggestion:

• iCloud backup - only if you don’t use iCloud Sync, they are mutually exclusive
  • iTunes backup - only if you don’t use iCloud Sync, they are mutually exclusive
  • Transfer your photos to your computer via USB cable
  • Apple Photo Stream
  • Sync to Google Photos
  • Sync to some other photo archiving service such as Shutterfly
  • Sync to Dropbox
  • Sync to box.com
  • Sync to Microsoft OneDrive
  • Sync to Amazon Photos
  • back up to Livedrive
  • Backup to any other backup or archiving service

May 4, 2021 8:30 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Thanks Lawrence. I have been transferring photos from iphone to PC successfully using the methods listed above. Suddenly, May 1st, I have a problem. I did start experimenting with my camera settings because HEIF/HEVC files were introduced (Apple did this without saying) so I had to purchase an app to convert HEIF files for my PC. Then I changed camera capture settings to "most compatible" to avoid this by taking photos on JPEG format and my PC cannot open them. So either Apple have changed something again or the settings that I adjusted have done something? Cheers, D

Photo view and transfer to desktop PC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.