Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

View menu resets to 'Organize by conversations' in Smart Mailboxes

I have recently upgraded to Big Sur and find that all my smart mailboxes repeatedly revert to 'Organize by Conversations'.

I never want to view by conversations, so this is a major distraction. I have nothing checked in Mail Preferences/View/View by conversations.

Is this a bug, feature, a preference corruption (and If so, which?) or something else I am missing?

Chris

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on May 5, 2021 3:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2021 4:12 AM

I am on Big Sur 11.3.1 (mail Version 14.0 (3654.80.0.2.43)). I have noticed that each smart mailbox has to be individually set to not view by conversation when the folder name is highlighted, which is annoying as I don't like conversation view. On this version though, once set, I have checked and it is no longer reverting to conversation if I exit and re-open the mail app and check a folder that has the view turned off.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 5, 2021 4:12 AM in response to Chris Bunch

I am on Big Sur 11.3.1 (mail Version 14.0 (3654.80.0.2.43)). I have noticed that each smart mailbox has to be individually set to not view by conversation when the folder name is highlighted, which is annoying as I don't like conversation view. On this version though, once set, I have checked and it is no longer reverting to conversation if I exit and re-open the mail app and check a folder that has the view turned off.

May 5, 2021 7:01 AM in response to ASH_IT

Thank you for alerting me to the OS upgrade. I was on 11.2.3 and have now upgraded to 11.3.1. Unfortunately this version has not solved the issue for me. These preferences are not being saved on quit and all Smart Folders still revert to having 'Organize by Conversations'. This is on a 27in 5K late 2015 iMac.

Curiously, my 13in 2016 MacBook Pro running OS 11.2.3 doesn't have this problem. That had has the Mail preference View/View conversations 'Highlight messages with color" and "Include related" checked, but checking these on the iMac doesn't change the underlying problem.

This doesn't seen particularly intuitive to me. One of many such issues I am grappling with since moving to BigSur.

View menu resets to 'Organize by conversations' in Smart Mailboxes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.