Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Siri cuts out when reading back my texts and doesn't speak to ask if I want to 'send'.

I have a New iphone iOS 14.5.1 I can see from previous entries by members of this community that others have had the same problem as me. I use Siri when driving to send texts. This feature does not work properly on my new phone. I have turned Siri on and off and also tried various other options in Settings but to no avail. I have seen on a previous post that other people tried things which I have followed but I still have the problem. Any ideas?

Posted on May 7, 2021 3:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 9, 2021 7:20 PM

Siri (and perhaps more specifically, iOS local voice playback functionality) is broken on two different iPhone 11 Pro with v14.5.1 (may have also been broken on the short-lived 14.5 version and just didn't notice). This bug can be noticed with Spoken Content, CarPlay, Siri dictation, etc.

It appears that Siri's function/actions are working correctly, as she successfully completes her various tasks, but it simply appears "broken" as she's unable to finish vocalizing her confirmation/action sentences on the iPhone. This can also be observed on other vocal Accessibility features where spoken dialog "cuts out" - iOS does appear to "silently" complete the spoken function.

Various iOS voodoo actions - to include deleting and re-downloading Siri (or other) voices, disabling/re-enabling Siri, and signing-out and back into Apple ID doesn't seem to improve this voice playback bug.

Siri was directed several times to ask Bixby for his help communicating - apparently, that doesn't work either! So aggravating, Siri's been turned off until the next version.

[Edited by Moderator]

32 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 9, 2021 7:20 PM in response to Helpthisisachallenge

Siri (and perhaps more specifically, iOS local voice playback functionality) is broken on two different iPhone 11 Pro with v14.5.1 (may have also been broken on the short-lived 14.5 version and just didn't notice). This bug can be noticed with Spoken Content, CarPlay, Siri dictation, etc.

It appears that Siri's function/actions are working correctly, as she successfully completes her various tasks, but it simply appears "broken" as she's unable to finish vocalizing her confirmation/action sentences on the iPhone. This can also be observed on other vocal Accessibility features where spoken dialog "cuts out" - iOS does appear to "silently" complete the spoken function.

Various iOS voodoo actions - to include deleting and re-downloading Siri (or other) voices, disabling/re-enabling Siri, and signing-out and back into Apple ID doesn't seem to improve this voice playback bug.

Siri was directed several times to ask Bixby for his help communicating - apparently, that doesn't work either! So aggravating, Siri's been turned off until the next version.

[Edited by Moderator]

May 12, 2021 8:29 AM in response to OSX AbUser

Having the exact same problem. iPhone 11, iOS 14.5.1. Siri audio cuts out reading messages, reading back newly composed messages, providing feedback on tasks (ie. “Calling NAME on mobile” will drop out part way through”), etc. Happens when using wired CarPlay on Hyundai Ioniq, when using wired Apple EarPods, and using Bluetooth earbuds. Extremely frustrating. As has been stated, tasks may continue, but there is no audio feedback, which largely renders Siri completely useless. EXTREMELY frustrating, as it worked before the update.

May 9, 2021 6:46 AM in response to Corrie84

Thanks for your reply. I have a really old car. My problem isn't related to connecting to a car. It is a problem that applies to the phone. E.g. If I am cooking, or gardening, or any activity and I want to send a text 'hands free' I would ask Siri to send a text message. Siri (on my old phone) would respond "what do you want to say?' I would dictate the message, then Siri would repeat it back to me and ask 'Ready to Send?' Now I dictate, Siri repeats the first two or three words but not the rest and doesn't ask if I want to send. This facility was especially useful when driving but not only then.

May 21, 2021 10:24 PM in response to Helpthisisachallenge

My iPhone 11 is muting partway through reading texts as well as on maps. I have tried going to power save mode and it seems to work for texts but then I can’t take it off power save. I have tried changing voices, redoing Siri, removing and refine loading maps. I see a lot of posts from others with the same issues. Wondering if anyone found a fix.

May 8, 2021 7:54 AM in response to Helpthisisachallenge

Hello Helpthisisachallenge,

If we're understanding you right, Siri abruptly stops reading your SMS messages and doesn't ask you if you want to send a message after dictating it. We know how important it is for these features to work correctly while you're driving. We have a few questions we would like to ask that may help getting the community to give you a resolution on the issue you're experiencing.

1. Are you connecting your iPhone to your car via CarPlay?
  2. Are you using a wired connection, or are you connecting via Bluetooth?
  3. If you dictate a text to Siri without being connected to your car does Siri ask you if you would like to send it?

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Take care.

May 9, 2021 6:47 AM in response to Lucas Jackson

Thanks for your reply. I have a really old car. My problem isn't related to connecting to a car. It is a problem that applies to the phone. E.g. If I am cooking, or gardening, or any activity and I want to send a text 'hands free' I would ask Siri to send a text message. Siri (on my old phone) would respond "what do you want to say?' I would dictate the message, then Siri would repeat it back to me and ask 'Ready to Send?' Now I dictate, Siri repeats the first two or three words but not the rest and doesn't ask if I want to send. This facility was especially useful when driving but not only then.

Siri cuts out when reading back my texts and doesn't speak to ask if I want to 'send'.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.