Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Since updating to Bug Sur 11.3.1 I am unable to connect to my WD My Cloud as a NAS device.Any solution(s)

Since updating to Bug Sur 11.3.1 I am unable to connect to my WD My Cloud as a NAS device.

I try and connect to smb://ip_address to the question, connect as

If I use Guest, then wrong password (window shakes)

If I use the administrator id and password then receive

There was a problem connecting to the server Ip_address

Any solution(s)

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.3

Posted on May 7, 2021 4:51 AM

Similar questions

19 replies

May 24, 2021 12:33 AM in response to pf2222

I found this reference just now looking back at issues with windows connecting and there is a possible hint here to use smb 1.0/cifs that is not referenced for MacOS. perhaps it is indeed WD issue after all as they may be using the old protocol..or a combination of both companies.

My Cloud Home is Not Detected / Not Found by Windows or macOS? What should I do?

My Cloud Home not detected by Windows OS

The solutions and instructions below will assist you in troubleshooting on Windows OS.

• Verify that the My Cloud Home is online and the LED is "solid white" and not "Slow or Fast Breathing".
  • My Cloud Home does not include a Windows SES driver and will not be displayed under "Windows Storage or Hardware" screen.
  • Make sure that the Network Browse function is not disabled on Windows 10. To enable this feature, follow these steps:
    1. Click and open the Search Bar in Windows 10. Type Windows Features in the search bar. Double-click Turn Windows Features on or off.
    2. In the displayed dialog box, scroll down to SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support. Check the box next to SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support and all the other child boxes will auto-populate.
    3. Click OK to accept the changes. Click Restart Now to reboot the computer.
  • Windows 10 has two options to access the computer:

May 24, 2021 5:57 PM in response to tony.innes

The My Cloud Home Public Share is

designed and implemented for Windows File Backup. It is not designed for

local LAN storage access. Although is can be accessed on macOS using

Common Internet File System (CIFS), it was not designed to be used as

local LAN storage for Windows or macOS. Please use WD Discovery and the

User Private Space for your My Cloud Home content storage needs.

Solution:

Connect using macOS (CIFS)

• The Common Internet File System (CIFS) tag must be used for connecting to the Public Share on macOS
  • The connection must be made as the macOS Guest user

|cifs://guest:guest@MYCLOUD-XXXXX/Public|CORRECT|

|cifs://guest:guest@/Public|CORRECT|

|afp://guest:guest@MYCLOUD-XXXXX/Public|INCORRECT|

|afp://guest:guest@/Public|INCORRECT|

|//MYCLOUD-XXXXX/Public|INCORRECT|

|///Public|INCORRECT|

silsurf

2m

Roy S: Please be informed that you can map your WD My Cloud Home Public share using the link below:

https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/30614

Henry C.: up until recently I was logging in as a registered user using my WD Home usr/pass?

Henry C.: The guest access did go through, So I am able to log in, but wondering what changed?

Henry C.: And really wondering if WD can please make access to the public folder easier for us Home users?

Roy S: Please be informed that since the drive does not have dashboard

and you are trying to map the public share so you don’t need to login

with the registered user. Please try to map is using Guest and let me

know the outcome.

Roy S: Please be informed that this is issues is only due to the recent

changes in the macOS Big sur. However, the public share as as easy to

access like a private share in any other macOS.

Henry C.: ahh, I see. But I cannot access it from the My Cloud Home ?

Roy S: Are you getting any error while trying to login to your My Cloud Home device?

Henry C.: NO, I can log in just fine, but There is no path to the public share?

Roy S: Please be informed that you can access the public folder only

when you’re connected locally. You cannot access the public folder using

MyCloud.com.

Henry C.: also good to know, thanks very much!

Roy S:

You’re welcome and thank you so much for your kind cooperation!!

[Personal Information Edited by Moderator]

May 8, 2021 9:05 AM in response to 6x6

I am having the same issue. After the 11.3.1 update, one of my two WD external hard drives will not "show up" (connect) in Finder. There is power to the unit because I can hear it running. I tried unplugging and replugging it. I tried shutting down my Mac and rebooting. I tried unplugging the hard drive, shutting down my Mac, rebooting my Mac, and then replugging in the problem hard drive. Nothing worked. As Tony stated, everything was working fine until 11.3.1 update last night. The strange thing is that my old WD hard drive connected fine after update, but the newer WD hard drive is the problem.

May 8, 2021 12:54 PM in response to 6x6

Actually this could be a reason. Webkit is the underlying code for web browser development within Mac OS X. Western Digital could be depending on an archaic hole in the system to do its cloud operations. I would be on the horn with Western Digital every day until they can give you a fix.

NASes are very sensitive to open firewall ports and proxies. Turn off any that might be interfering with you.

May 10, 2021 9:14 AM in response to tony.innes

Try rebooting your NAS device and connect using cifs://<ip-address>/. I have a very old WD MyBook Duo that WD did not update for many years. I can still connect to it using both smb:// and cifs://. Connections do get dropped from time to time though. Also try to connect to the NAS device's admin page using a browser.

May 10, 2021 1:57 PM in response to tony.innes

It seems that for an odd reason, SMBv2/v3 is bust in this MacOS version, but the old CIFS protocol (SMBv1) still works.

As a workaround, try to connect to cifs:// instead of smb://, using the same parameters as before.

(base) matthieu@MacBook ~ % smbutil statshares -a

==================================================================================================
SHARE                         ATTRIBUTE TYPE                VALUE
==================================================================================================
Public                        
                              SERVER_NAME                   MyCloud-UT6A4L
                              USER_ID                       502
                              SMB_NEGOTIATE                 SMBV_NEG_SMB1_ENABLED
                              SMB_VERSION                   SMB_1
                              SMB_SHARE_TYPE                UNKNOWN
                              EXTENDED_SECURITY_SUPPORTED   TRUE
                              LARGE_FILE_SUPPORTED          TRUE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May 11, 2021 10:29 AM in response to tony.innes

This is a solution I found on a WD community site. It seems to solve a BigSur/WE My Cloud problem. See if it helps. Note that I did not find the WD extension mentioned on my Mac.

https://community.wd.com/t/wd-my-cloud-home-on-mac-os-big-sur-not-working/260379

Please try the following to see if the issue resolves: Go to: System Preferences → Extensions Click on Finder Extensions and ensure there is a check next to WDDesktop Finder Extensions Reboot your computer and attempt to access My Cloud Home data using WD Discovery [mac_extensions]

Since updating to Bug Sur 11.3.1 I am unable to connect to my WD My Cloud as a NAS device.Any solution(s)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.