Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple mail out of office auto reply

When I set up out of office auto reply the subject line of the reply has been changed to a set of apparently random numbers and letters.(Catalina) I've used out of office many times and never had this problem before. I see there have been many others asking about this but no obviously successful answer. am I missing something? Any ideas? Thanks.

iMac Pro

Posted on May 10, 2021 1:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 10, 2021 3:26 AM

If through the macOS Mail Application, your Mail ISP is Apple, then that out-of-office approach via iCloud has been addressed.

If your Mail ISP is not Apple, then you would need to determine if they provide backend configuration support for out-of-office responses before the mail is delivered to the macOS Mail client.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 10, 2021 3:26 AM in response to RHathome

If through the macOS Mail Application, your Mail ISP is Apple, then that out-of-office approach via iCloud has been addressed.

If your Mail ISP is not Apple, then you would need to determine if they provide backend configuration support for out-of-office responses before the mail is delivered to the macOS Mail client.

May 12, 2021 5:15 AM in response to VikingOSX

Thanks VikingOSX. In fact we use zen as our ISP. It seems odd that we have used out of office for several years with no problem

( using the same ISP) and suddenly we are getting the numbers/letters as the header for out of office e mail replies.

It seems to be a common problem, as yet unanswered ( apart from changing to iCloud which it doesn't seem should be necessary).

Apple mail out of office auto reply

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.