Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Touch ID on M1 MacBook Pro - Not working

I have a MacBook Pro 13" with Apple M1 chip. I am running latest version of Big Sur. Touch ID stopped working, I deleted Fingerprints and when I try to re-add them, I get the error message....

Touch ID failed. Unable to complete Touch ID enrollment. Please go back and try again.

I have restarted. Since resetting the SMC is not valid on the M1, I have not and can not reset that. I also created a new user, same issue.

Not sure what else to do.

Posted on May 12, 2021 6:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 12, 2021 7:11 AM

Hi,

Try to run Apple Diagnostics if it would be a hardware related issue.

Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac - Apple Support

Apple Diagnostics reference codes - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies

May 12, 2021 7:06 AM in response to GBart63

Apple's support has said that the M1 Macs should do something similar to a SMC reset by shutting down the computer and leaving it turned off for at least 30 seconds before turning it on again. Since there is no way to test if it actually does something, we can not determine if it is true.

You can also try from Safe Mode:

- On your Mac, choose Apple menu ()> Shut Down.

- After your Mac shuts down, wait 10 seconds.

- Press and hold the power button until the startup disks and Options appear.

- Press and hold the Shift key, then click Continue in Safe Mode.

If that doesn't work, the last alternative is a clean install of MacOS.

The best way is in DFU with Apple Configurator 2 (but you need another Mac), but you can use the Recovery.

Touch ID on M1 MacBook Pro - Not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.