Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Image Capture: Where is the iPhone GPS data?

I use Image Capture to back-up my iPhone photos onto my MacMini. I also use Google Photos to automatically back-up my phone photos. When I use Preview to open the files created by Image Capture, the Inspector Information window does not show a GPS tab (just shows General, Exif, JIFF and TIFF).

However, the same files that were uploaded to Google Photos do show the Location in the Google Photo Info window. I exported the Google Photo using their Takeout application back to my MacMini. When I opened that file with Preview, the Inspector Information window does include the GPS tab and it carries the correct GPS location for the photo.

I've confirmed that Privacy>Location Services for my Phone are on and that Camera and Maps are included.

Is Image Capture supposed to include the image GPS data along with the EXIF data?

If yes - what am I doing wrong?

If no - how are others assuring the iPhone GPS data is retained?

Please advise.

Mac mini, macOS 11.3

Posted on May 16, 2021 5:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 16, 2021 5:42 AM

I took a photo on my iPhone 4S this Spring, which I used Image Capture to retrieve from my phone, When I open that image in Preview on macOS 11.3.1, all of the GPS info is present including a map showing the location. I had location services enabled on my phone.

Similar questions

4 replies

May 16, 2021 1:40 PM in response to VikingOSX

My posted information relates to files transferred in September last year. And of course I deleted those files off my phone. VikingOSX, thanks to your feedback I tried to replicate the problem from current iPhone 8 iOS 14.4.2 using Image Capture on MacMini running BigSur 11.3.1. I could not replicate it. The files downloaded from my phone with all the GPS data. I wish Time Machine could really take me back in time. I must have done something wrong in the past, but it looks like I can move forward with Image Capture on my current phone files.

I noticed that the files I downloaded today carried the Date Created from the iPhone image, but the files I downloaded in September all show the Date Created as the date I did the download, not the the date the image was taken. But the EXIF data on those previous files does contain the date the image was taken in the Date Time Digitized Date Time Original fields.

I also noticed that Image Capture didn't show a thumbnail or any Location information for some of the files - screen shot attached. However when I selected those files in Image Capture and downloaded them, the GPS data did transfer to the downloaded files.

Image Capture: Where is the iPhone GPS data?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.