Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am continually getting the error "Time Machine couldn’t complete the backup".

I am continually getting the error "Time Machine couldn’t complete the backup". I have been using the same drive for over a year with no issues. When I restart the computer it starts working again and performs a few successful backups then reverts to error message and fails. I added a new drive to see if that changes anything. Again same thing - a few successful backups then failure.

I am using Mojave 10.14.6 on a iMac 27 in 3.4 Ghz Intel Core i5

Posted on May 17, 2021 7:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 17, 2021 3:41 PM

I second rkaufmann87's recommendation of removing CleanMyMac.

You can try running Disk First Aid on the Time Machine drive with Disk Utility. Be warned that it will take longer than a regular external HD due to it's complex ecosystem of hard links and file permissions.

I had trouble with my TM drive 9 months ago when it never stopped preparing for a backup. I ended up erasing the drive and starting over from scratch. Haven't had a problem since.

Similar questions

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 17, 2021 3:41 PM in response to sjc_46

I second rkaufmann87's recommendation of removing CleanMyMac.

You can try running Disk First Aid on the Time Machine drive with Disk Utility. Be warned that it will take longer than a regular external HD due to it's complex ecosystem of hard links and file permissions.

I had trouble with my TM drive 9 months ago when it never stopped preparing for a backup. I ended up erasing the drive and starting over from scratch. Haven't had a problem since.

May 21, 2021 7:04 AM in response to sjc_46

@Tesserax @rkaufmann87

I did everything I was instructed to do above. Uninstalled Clean My Mac, Uninstalled some other junk, Restarted In Safe Mode, Restarted back in normal Mode. Ran Disk Utility on the Hard Drive and got one error which I couldn't understand - see attached. I have also attached a new version report from EtreCheckPro and lastly I have attached a Problem report after I restarted where it asks me if I want to send this to apple.

Additionally I noticed the 2 external drives I have attached won't allow you to copy anything to them. Not even a simple small file. A box pops up asking to authenticate and even when I do that I get an error. So that is probably one reason the Backups are not working. Usually a restart gets them working for a day or 2 again, but this restart has them not allowing anything to be copied to them. I can''t even eject them because it says they are in use by the finder.

Next Thoughts?

May 17, 2021 7:44 AM in response to sjc_46

Please navigate to www.Etrecheck.com and download the free version of EtreCheck. Once you have you downloaded the app and installed it, please run the report and save it. This report will help us get a good idea what has been installed on your system and help us be able to diagnose what may be wrong.

When you have your report, you can attach it when you reply to this message and we can then review it and help you determine what is needed to get your system running well again. 

For instructions on how to download your EtreCheck report and attach it to your reply to this message please click https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250000211

May 17, 2021 9:11 AM in response to sjc_46

Your system is kind of a mess, however lets start with the basics:

The best antivirus, cleaning app, and overall maintenance app for Mac OS is Mac OS itself. All you need to do with Mac OS to keep it secure and running well is to keep it up-to-date and do periodic (about 1x per week) restarts. Other than that, leave it alone. Adding third party antivirus, cleaning, security and other types of maintenance apps to Mac OS adds no additional level of security. The only thing these apps do is have the opposite affect users want. They make Mac OS slow, unstable, generate odd behavior (much like you are experiencing) and make Mac OS appear buggy.

Please locate the developers uninstall instructions for CleanMyMac and follow to the letter. Then restart in Safe Mode per the directions in Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac and then restart normally.

May 17, 2021 9:26 AM in response to sjc_46

To directly address the Time Machine (TM) issue, this "warning" is indicating that the current TM backup set is potentially becoming or has already become corrupted. Eventually, it will end with a message that you will need to start a new backup set. If the data on this drive is critical to you, you may want to consider making a copy of this drive to another one as an archive.

May 17, 2021 11:43 AM in response to sjc_46

haha - I work the **** out of this thing as I worked on a live show thru most of the pandemic and I have just been flying by the seat of my pants. So I guess maybe that's why its a mess, but I 'm not sure really where I am going wrong with all that. I hear you about all the security apps and such. I will uninstall those. To be clear - Do you thikn "Clean my Mac" is ok to have or you are suggesting I lose that one too? Also when you say restart in safe mode does it reveal issues in some way if there are issues? Or do I just follow these steps by starting in safe mode and then restarting? I will review the directions you have linked to as well.

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

May 17, 2021 11:58 AM in response to sjc_46

You're most welcome. A number of us have found TM to become less and less reliable since macOS Sierra ... primarily with backups to a Time Capsule. So far, this doesn't bear true with directly attached external drives. I think in your case, a through "clean up" of your system, as rkaufmann87 is suggesting, is in order. Once that can be done, we can concentrate on why TM is failing regardless of which drive is attached.

To answer some of the questions you asked, yes completely remove an "cleaner" apps. This means Clean My Mac. We get numerous posts here with folks asking for help getting rid of it. You should find the developer's support site offering how to do so properly. As far as restarting in Safe Mode, this is a troubleshooting step. It temporarily disables a number of things, including third-party device drivers, which can be found to be problematic. rkaufmann87 already provided you with a link that should help explain its purpose.

May 21, 2021 7:31 AM in response to sjc_46

Your system is kind of a mess, for example:

System Integrity Protection disabled - System Integrity Protection is disabled. This computer is at risk of malware infection. was noted in the EtreCheck report. Do you have any idea how that was done??

My first recommendation would be to start the computer in the Recovery Partition (Command + R on startup) then re-instal Mac OS. This type of install is intended to fill in missing or damaged portions of Mac OS. It will not harm apps or files on the computer. However, please test your backup before doing this as an insurance policy.

If the re-install does not work, then you will need to start over and do an erase and install and manually install your third party apps and you can use your backup to move your data files over.

I am continually getting the error "Time Machine couldn’t complete the backup".

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.