Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Activity App (watch and iPhone) display duplicate workouts (i.e. two cycling distances of 33.2 miles)

I understand how the Apple Health app prioritizes sources from Apple Watch, iPhone, or any other 3rd party apps and if there are duplicates then it will use the one listed highest in the order of preference. However, despite this, when I look at my Apple Watch I will often see two duplicate workouts in the Activity App. So when I'm scrolling through my activity (Move, Exercise, Stand) then near the bottom it may show that I did two cycling workouts of 33.2 miles when in reality there was only one.

Why does the Activity App on the Apple Watch (and within the Activity App on iPhone) still LIST two workouts even if it appears that the ecosystem as a whole is appropriately tallying data from just one workout source (i.e. my calories don't appear to be double-counted). The only way I can stop this behavior is by unchecking the "workout" option for one of the sources. But, this is not ideal because there may be times when I don't have the other source on and would like to rely on the source that is usually the back-up (#2) option.

Apple Watch Series 3, watchOS 7

Posted on May 19, 2021 8:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 19, 2021 9:44 AM

The first (and simplest) thing to try if something isn’t working right is to restart your Apple Watch and its paired iPhone. If necessary (device not responding), try a forced restart. Both methods can be found here:

How to restart your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Restart your iPhone - Apple Support

If that doesn't help, the next steps would be to unpair and pair your watch again and restore from the backup just created. This should result in no loss of data. It deletes all temp and corrupted files and re-indexes the file system.

Unpair and erase your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Set up your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 19, 2021 9:44 AM in response to blt413

The first (and simplest) thing to try if something isn’t working right is to restart your Apple Watch and its paired iPhone. If necessary (device not responding), try a forced restart. Both methods can be found here:

How to restart your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Restart your iPhone - Apple Support

If that doesn't help, the next steps would be to unpair and pair your watch again and restore from the backup just created. This should result in no loss of data. It deletes all temp and corrupted files and re-indexes the file system.

Unpair and erase your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Set up your Apple Watch - Apple Support

May 19, 2021 12:24 PM in response to javaliga

Thank you for your reply! I appreciate your input, however I followed both your suggestions with no luck. I believe this is not a Watch or iPhone issue, but rather an issue with the Health app and the Fitness app (not Activity app as I mistakenly referred to it). Even though the Health and Fitness apps may only use the top priority source for data purposes (calories, heart rate, etc.), both apps end up listing the same *workout* twice.

I just don't understand the point in saying "Here is a summary of Today's workouts" and listing multiple workout sources when it is supposed to just use the highest priority one?

Here is the same example as shown previously on the Apple Watch, but this time on the iPhone in both the Health and Fitness apps:

Activity App (watch and iPhone) display duplicate workouts (i.e. two cycling distances of 33.2 miles)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.