Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to sort iTunes albums by most recently added but play in ascending track order (normal)

Is it possible? How to sort iTunes albums by most recently added date BUT play in normal order (ascending track number).

In a separate thought, does ANYBODY ON EARTH sort all their iTunes songs by Track # so that they play all the Track#1's first and then all the Track#2's etc.?

Has Apple thoughtfully implemented secondary sort keys in iTunes yet?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.12

Posted on May 19, 2021 5:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2021 10:38 AM

The Music app in Catalina and Big Sur and more recent versions of iTunes have a section/view of the library called Recently Added that behaves just like this, and include the entire library. Album by Artist is otherwise generally the most useful sort order. There are no custom secondary sorts. I do have a Windows script called SortDateAdded that removes and reimports albums one track at a time in reverse order at least one second apart so that a date added descending order gives sensible results, but I never personally had a use for it, and I don't think it would be that easy to recreate in AppleScript.

tt2

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 24, 2021 10:38 AM in response to longwing70

The Music app in Catalina and Big Sur and more recent versions of iTunes have a section/view of the library called Recently Added that behaves just like this, and include the entire library. Album by Artist is otherwise generally the most useful sort order. There are no custom secondary sorts. I do have a Windows script called SortDateAdded that removes and reimports albums one track at a time in reverse order at least one second apart so that a date added descending order gives sensible results, but I never personally had a use for it, and I don't think it would be that easy to recreate in AppleScript.

tt2

How to sort iTunes albums by most recently added but play in ascending track order (normal)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.