Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sorting data on vCard in Contacts

My sister has dropped an email address, but I can't get Mail in iCloud to allow me to select her preferred address. It still uses the old one but does list the next two as options. Unfortunately those are business addresses not her personal one. I thought if I moved her address to the top of the list in her vCard in Contacts on my iMac it would be fixed; I can't find a way to sort the addresses in the vCard. How can I sort them?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.13

Posted on May 20, 2021 4:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 22, 2021 1:53 AM

You will have to Edit the email addresses into the Order desired. In so editing, have the address desired to appear in the Top Position. Drag and Drop - as you discover - does not and has never worked in the Contacts Application.

Similar questions

8 replies

May 21, 2021 10:29 AM in response to PRP_53

True, but I don't use Apple's mail application. Also, my question is how to do the sorting/arranging of data on contact's vCard when I'm in the Contacts application on my iMac. Contacts is where the vCard was created in the first place. In my sister's vCard, there are multiple addresses but afaik, the primary one is the one at the top of the list. If there isn't a way to move a different address to the top in the Contacts application, then I'll have to delete her vCard and create a separate one for each address.

May 21, 2021 1:53 PM in response to romad

There is a way to have several e-mail address in One Contact - in your case sister. Am doing this from memory and on a Windows machine as I reply. While in Contacts - usually the first email address is titled personal, and below you can add Home, Business and maybe another. You can change the selected Category name from say Home to Personal, Work to Home etc. You get the idea I am sure. The only drawback to multi-emails address to one Contact is when composing a message - to be sure to get the correct one used. You do not what to send a private and personal message to your sister on her Business e-mail address

May 21, 2021 4:17 PM in response to PRP_53

Yep, it is the multiple address situation I want to fix. Previously her main address was the first in the list on her vCard and was the one that icloud.com/mail always used. However, since that address is no longer at the top of the list, I need to move her new address up to the top. I thought I could just drag it to reorder the list just like you reorder a list of bookmarks in Safari but it didn't work. Now her business address is at the top after I deleted her old address. Again, I'm using the MacOS Contacts application on my iMac so I need to be able to do this in that application.

May 30, 2021 6:46 PM in response to PRP_53

OK, I guess I'll have to completely redo all my Contacts. I had my sister's family and business addresses (6 total) on the one vCard so now I'll create 4 new cards for them 3 personal and 1 business. I probably have multiple email addresses on all the other vCards in Contacts, so I'll check them an make sure there is only one email address on each vCard.

Sorting data on vCard in Contacts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.