Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Siri Remote not controlling TV Volume (IR)

I bought the new Apple TV, and previously had the older Apple TV 4K. I setup the new tv box and decided to setup manually to avoid any issues with settings. I went to settings and added a new device for tv volume. When it prompted that I press and hold the + for volume I did so and it read it correctly. Same with - and mute. After this it said I could control volume.

I tried pressing the volume and mute buttons and nothing worked. All other buttons worked.

The weirdest part, is my old remote sitting in the room worked for volume but nothing else.

Any ideas? I tried moving the old remote to the other side of the house to avoid some weird data/connections being sent to that one, but it's still having the same issue, no volume on new Siri remote even though it said it connected fine.

Apple TV 4K

Posted on May 21, 2021 10:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 23, 2021 1:07 PM

Resolved: I learned that im a dummy and I was "learning" the Apple TV remote instead of the roku remote. So when you go to "remotes and devices" go to volume control, learn new device, and make sure when it asks for +, -, etc you are using the ROKU (or whatever TV you have) remote to learn instead of the new Apple TV remote. Once I did that, the volume and mute worked great.

Similar questions

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 23, 2021 1:07 PM in response to amg54681

Resolved: I learned that im a dummy and I was "learning" the Apple TV remote instead of the roku remote. So when you go to "remotes and devices" go to volume control, learn new device, and make sure when it asks for +, -, etc you are using the ROKU (or whatever TV you have) remote to learn instead of the new Apple TV remote. Once I did that, the volume and mute worked great.

May 21, 2021 10:33 AM in response to amg54681

I don't think the new remotes have infrared, so your old remote probably connected to tv via infrared, hence why still working. try going into Apple TV settings, and look underHome Cinema Control>Volume Control... maybe need to change to Auto or Auto via HDMI (Receiver). Now I have the older ATV4K with the new remote, so not sure what you will have under settings

May 21, 2021 11:26 AM in response to amg54681

Just discovered the new one DOES have infrared, I had got mixed up with the motion sensor that I read it doesn't have, my apologies. That menu is the same on both my Apple TVs, one has a home cinema system, and the other is just TV speakers. I think when it mentions HDMI it means it's sending the equivalent of an infrared signal via the HDMI connected to the TV. I'm guessing TVOS versions we have are different. Sorry not any further help, both my remotes just worked the same when I paired them

New Siri Remote not controlling TV Volume (IR)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.