Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sending mail from iPad

I have a problem with sending mail from my iPad Pro. Occasionally, and completely unpredictably, a message will not send but will be placed in the Outbox. I then get a warning box saying that mail cannot connect to the outgoing smtp mail server. This of course is balderdash, since it was connected and sent messages successfully a few seconds before, and - if I dismiss the warning and try to send a different message to a different destination - it will often succeed. So just what on earth is Apple mail up to?

iPad Pro, iPadOS 13

Posted on May 23, 2021 3:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 23, 2021 4:59 AM

What did your email provider say when you contacted them? Check all your email parameters (SMTP/IMAP/POP... etc).

See also this support article:--> If you can’t send email on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Regards

Giulio

Similar questions

3 replies

May 23, 2021 5:20 AM in response to ProustGiulio

Hi Giulio, Thanks for the reply. The first thing I did was contact the email provider but they could not detect any fault. My wife has a parallel account and does not experience the problem. I looked through the support article before posting the original query - no use at all, except that I did not delete my account and re-install. Frankly if I’m going to do that I won’t be using Apple mail again. This is the most frustrating bug I have come across in the Apple empire. It’s totally unpredictable. When it happens I can go into Outbox and highlight the message and press send: sometimes it will go, other times it remains after multiple attempts. As I said originally the error message is rubbish, since the mail is sent without problem both immediately before and immediately after the error. It’s got to be a bug deep in Apples mail program.

Regards, David

May 23, 2021 5:39 AM in response to davidfrombucks

Hi David,

Sorry about your problem, but I haven't heard about it so frequently in this Community (unless your iPad loses its Internet access), and this can happen for two main reasons: unstable wifi network (try to restart your modem-router) or your device has a very weak wifi connection (if you have a cover, try to remove it).

As far as deleting that email account, restarting your iPad, re-adding that account waiting for its complete messages "repopulation", many times that procedure can solve temporary glitches. I'd give it a try.

I'm using Apple Mail app since 2008 (with my first 3g iPhone) and I didn't encounter any problem about sending/receiving email messages.

Have you also tried to update your device to the latest iPadOS version?

Giulio

Sending mail from iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.