You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoneX battery swelling up, causing screen separation

Apple customer support suggested I stop using the device due to risk of explosion, but would NOT fix the issue without me paying a $350 repair fee... not sure what to do, was recently laid off from my job and would prefer not to have to pay $350 while unemployed to prevent my phone from exploding...

iPhone X, iOS 14

Posted on May 26, 2021 1:40 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 26, 2021 1:48 PM

The advice to stop using the phone is correct. If the battery is swelling it can be dangerous to use. Unfortunately, the phone can't be repaired due to this and you're dealing with a phone which was released now 4 years ago.

Sorry, but there is nothing we can do to help you with your financial situation. The phone needs to be replaced.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 26, 2021 1:48 PM in response to EvanEC

The advice to stop using the phone is correct. If the battery is swelling it can be dangerous to use. Unfortunately, the phone can't be repaired due to this and you're dealing with a phone which was released now 4 years ago.

Sorry, but there is nothing we can do to help you with your financial situation. The phone needs to be replaced.

May 26, 2021 1:59 PM in response to EvanEC

I can't answer what is normal. We do not see many posts from people in your situation. But it can happen and suffice to say that any electronic device can suffer catastrophic damage at any time, regardless of the age of the device. I had a very expensive laptop whose hard drive crashed irretrievably after 13 months. I had Mercedes Benz suffer an electrical meltdown in it's 2nd year of ownership.

Don't use your phone. It can blow up and that could be dangerous. It's not safe to take a chance with a Lion battery which is in the condition you've had evaluated. Perhaps a family member or friend can loan you the money to get the phone replaced?

May 26, 2021 2:08 PM in response to lobsterghost1

Just asking because I went into the Apple Store earlier to check about getting it fixed, and the 2 folks at the genius bar I spoke to didn't mention any risk of explosion after I explained to them the battery was expanding causing screen separation. It was only when I called customer support afterwards that the representative brought it up. Perhaps this isn't really a big risk, because if it was I would have assumed the genius bar would have mentioned it?

Not sure your examples are completely similar if there really is risk to bodily harm here -- vehicle recalls often happen well after warranty periods expire if there is a safety risk due to defect, and sounds like this might be a widespread issue... the phone is otherwise in perfect condition...

May 26, 2021 4:07 PM in response to EvanEC

Apple told you using a phone with a swollen battery can be dangerous. I'm telling you using a phone with a swollen battery can be dangerous. There is no recall for Apple batteries because it's rare (but it can happen) that the battery in an iPhone swells. So, you're assertion there is a widespread issue is simply not true.

I'm done here. You're an adult and you can make your own decisions. If you choose to ignore good advice and you get hurt, that's on you.

iPhoneX battery swelling up, causing screen separation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.