Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 7 battery case not recognized by iOS 14.6

I have an iPhone 7 and the genuine Apple battery case for it.

Since upgrading to iOS 14.6, I find that the battery case doesn’t work correctly. Before 14.6, the phone would draw power first from the case battery, and then from the phone battery. Now on 14.6, only the phone battery is utilized.

Is this a known problem? If so, is there a fix?

iPhone 7

Posted on May 27, 2021 8:19 PM

20 replies

May 28, 2021 5:05 PM in response to Brian_P7

Brian_P7, thanks for your response. The page that you pointed me to describes the way the battery case worked on IOS14.5.1 and before.

But on iOS 14.6, it’s not working this way. Something has changed. I’m only seeing the battery meter for the phone battery, and not seeing the one for the battery case. And, with the phone inserted into the battery case, the iPhone 7 uses only its internal battery, not the battery on the case.

Something has changed in iOS 14.6.

May 29, 2021 10:16 AM in response to Eric--F

I have additional information.

If I fully charge the phone while it’s in the battery case, the phone will show the green charging symbol, but will start depleting its charge immediately. It will power off when it depletes the phone battery. It will not utilize the charge available in the battery case.

However, if I pull the phone out of the battery case and then reinsert the phone, the phone will recognize the battery case, and the battery meter on rhe phone starts increasing. That tells me that the phone is drawing a charge from the batteey case.

I think this is an iOS 14.6 problem. The battery case and phone worked together as expected under All iOS releases prior to 14.6.

plesse help if you can.

Jun 16, 2021 4:55 AM in response to StinkyStinky

i have the same issue , not recognizing my charging case. Then when it depletes the phone battery the phone shuts off. I have to disconnect it, charge separate for about 30 min to 1 hour and put them back together . HERE IS THE KICKER , after that even though I’m no longer charging the phone the battery life icon keeps getting more strength as the time goes by. HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE? Have had cases for my 6 and 7 never an issue . The issue is :14.6 update !

iPhone 7 battery case not recognized by iOS 14.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.