Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airplay Not Working with iOS 14.6

I upgraded my wife's iPhone 11 Pro to iOS 14.6 and Airplay which had been working perfectly until then no longer works. The Phone says it is connected to the Airplay connected speakers, but plays music from the iPhone only. There also is no delay after "connecting" which had been typical when it actually was working.

Help!

iPhone 11 Pro

Posted on May 29, 2021 3:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 5, 2021 10:55 PM

SAME HERE. Its gotten worse with iOS 14.6. This is really pathetic. This is why Apple need to allow downgrades. I can't AirPlay to any of my TVs. Not even my Apple TVs. So disappointed in Apple. I'm sure iOS 14.7 will have the same problem

23 replies

May 30, 2021 3:09 PM in response to Nguyening

Hi, Nguyening, and welcome to the Apple Support Communities. We understand that you're having issues getting AirPlay to work after updating. We'll be glad to help out.

Since it appears that it is detecting the AirPlay devices, it could be a simple connection issue that may be resolved by restarting. Have you been able to try restarting both the iPhone and AirPlay devices to see if this issue persists afterwards?

Thanks for reaching out.

Cheers!

Jun 3, 2021 12:08 PM in response to Nguyening

Hi, Nguyening. To expand on this further, are there other Apple devices that you use AirPlay with on the same network? If so, are those performing properly? The reason we ask, is we'd like to narrow this down to see if that particular iPhone itself is potentially causing the issue, or if it's something else.

We look forward to hearting back from you.

Take care!

Jun 11, 2021 1:19 PM in response to Nguyening

Hello, i have the same problem but I try this....

i have 2 speakers with airplay and 2 Avt3 and one AirPort Express with Airplay 2. I probe all the speakers with airplay one and Avt3 using speaker mode and does not work at all.

But if I use airplay by airport express this work fine, no trouble.

then I probe with mi iPhone 7 with iOS 14.2, its works in any speaker, no trouble to connect, inclusive on a Raspberry pi Shairport-sync.

I think apple it's starting to kill airplay 1 .

:(

Jun 22, 2021 9:58 AM in response to Nguyening

I had the same problem, AirPlay no longer working to my reciever (Yamaha RX-A850). At first I believed it had to do with my iPhone 11 Pro update to 14.6, and Mac mini M1 update to 11.4.

But now I know it had nothing to do with that. I tried to connect to AirPlay from my iPad (14.4.2) and my old iPhone 6S (13.5.1) and the result was exactly the same: reciever is missing in the reciever/TV list.

I have tried on different units to turn off/on "Handoff" and "HomePod". And tried to change between "Never", "Ask" and "Automatic" for the AirPlay request settings. Nothing works, this is at least in my case obviously not an Apple issue, this must be the recievers fault.

Of course I have rebooted everything (several times). I can connect to my Apple TV through AirPlay and then let the music stream to the reciever, so it's no problem running the protocol on my WiFi network.

I googled and found some other with similar Yamaha reciever and AirPlay problems, but not that many. The reciever is not old, but everything can of course broke at anytime.

Hope you guys will get a better answer to this issue than I got.

Jun 22, 2021 2:58 PM in response to undertun

undertun: I am glad you were able to solve your problem, but my issues are different.

My wife's iPhone is the only device that cannot play through Airplay speakers on our network. My Mac, my iPhone 12 Pro and iPad all work fine. My wife's phone can actually see the Airplay devices, they will have a nice checkmark when we try to play through them, but the audio stays on her iPhone and does not move to the chosen device.

I checked the Handoff settings, played around with those, restarted her phone several times ... no luck.

Jun 23, 2021 3:18 AM in response to Nguyening

Nguyening: I agree, your problem seems to be an Apple issue. Hope you find an answer soon.

Btw, I solved my issue yesterday. It was not a conventional solution though. I started the firmware upgrade process on the reciever, sort of by mistake. I already had the latest version but I was just searching around in all the preferences. The user interface didn't like to start the firmware upgrade dialogue without select file. The process gone into a loop that I was forced to terminate after about 45 mins. Restarted the reciever and voilá... all my Apple units was able to reach AirPlay service! :)

I'm not sure why that solved the problem, I guess the initiation of firmware upgrade was a better way to reboot the reciever. Maybe more like a shutdown and start up, than a ordinary restart...

Jul 20, 2021 7:24 AM in response to Nguyening

I had the same problem. The only thing I use AirPlay for is playing Spotify audio over my Sony A/V receiver. My phone would show that I was connected via Airplay to my A/V receiver but the audio would come out of my phone's speakers only. I tried power cycling the phone, the receiver, and even a factory reset of the phone and receiver. The factory reset of the iPhone was the only thing that worked but then the problem recurred soon after.

I found a temporary fix that is WAY more convenient than a factory reset. If I uninstall and reinstall Spotify from my iPhone, Airplay begins working again and will work for a week or more before the problem recurs. I don't know if the problem is with the Spotify app or with iOS. I suspect that when I go directly from Airplay over my A/V to Bluetooth over my car audio system, the automatic switch-over to my car's bluetooth causes some kind of glitch that eventually causes Airplay to cease functioning.

Jul 20, 2021 8:52 AM in response to DarthBueller

DarthBueller: What you described is exactly what was happening with my wife's iPhone, except that it was happening with Apple Music. I don't know if it is possible to remove Apple Music from an iPhone. Later I had the same issue with other devices.

My wife has upgraded her phone and it now seems to be working properly.

I think it is an iOS issue with some versions breaking AirPlay.

Jul 25, 2021 6:30 AM in response to Julianisch

Thank you @Julianisch that worked for me. None of my devices were showing up on my iPhone 12 Pro after upgrading to iOS 14.6. I could see the Airplay devices on other iOS devices.

Goto: Settings > General > AirPlay & Handoff

Then turned off: Handoff

Rebooted the iPhone as an extra step and the devices are now showing up again!!!

Thank you everyone on this thread.

Airplay Not Working with iOS 14.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.