Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

double app directory after downgrading to Catalina and upgrading to Big Sur again

During process mentioned above something strange happened. I end up having "Macintosh HD" ánd "Macintosh HD - DATA (Gegevens in dutch)" with similar directories "Apps", "Bibliotheek (=library)" and "System".

Is it save to remove one?

Or is it better to install Big Sur from scratch again?

What is the smartest thing to do in this case?

Thanks in advance

Jeffrey

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on May 31, 2021 4:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 31, 2021 11:37 AM

No, that's normal. Both volumes are sharing the same drive. If you check the contents of the Apps folder you'll see that they contain the same files.

1. Go into your local Applications folder and color tag the first app in the list.
  2. Go into Disk Utility and Control (right) - click on the Macintosh HD and select Show in Finder.
  3. Check the Applications folder to see if the first app is color tagged as you made it.
  4. Now Control (right) - click on the Macintosh HD - Gegevens and repeat Steps 2 & 3.

You should see the first app color tagged as in the other view.

The only difference between your screenshots and what I see on my iMac is that my application folder is titled "Applications" and yours is "Apps".

This is what my two volumes look like:

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 31, 2021 11:37 AM in response to JeffreyJansen

No, that's normal. Both volumes are sharing the same drive. If you check the contents of the Apps folder you'll see that they contain the same files.

1. Go into your local Applications folder and color tag the first app in the list.
  2. Go into Disk Utility and Control (right) - click on the Macintosh HD and select Show in Finder.
  3. Check the Applications folder to see if the first app is color tagged as you made it.
  4. Now Control (right) - click on the Macintosh HD - Gegevens and repeat Steps 2 & 3.

You should see the first app color tagged as in the other view.

The only difference between your screenshots and what I see on my iMac is that my application folder is titled "Applications" and yours is "Apps".

This is what my two volumes look like:

May 31, 2021 4:59 AM in response to JeffreyJansen

How to create a bootable installer for macOS of Big Sur. Notation: The computer being used to create the bootable installer Must be compatible and qualify to run Big Sur. The and only then boot from the Bootable Installer and Wipe the Entire Drive >> Disk Utilities >> View >> View ALL attached rives. Select the Upper Most Drive ( Not the Volumes listed below ) and Format as APFS with the GUID Portion Map. Back out of Utilities and choose Install macOS.

double app directory after downgrading to Catalina and upgrading to Big Sur again

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.