Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Apple Watch is signed in to my iCloud account, but I still can not use the Watch to unlock my Mac. Why?

Every time I interact with the "Allow Apple Watch to unlock the Mac" checkbox in the Security & Privacy section of System Preferences I see this notification.

It doesn't make any sense at all since my Apple Watch is signed in to my iCloud account. I have only one iCloud account and I use it for all my devices, including the Apple Watch, iPhone and Mac. Shared clipboard doesn't work as well (I can not paste on my Mac the items that I have previously copied on my iPhone or iPad). I have macOS 11.2.3 on my MacBook.

Why is this happening and what can I do to fix this?

Posted on Jun 1, 2021 1:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 2, 2021 7:51 AM

Hi Andrew_Okhota,

Have you tried restarting your Mac, iPhone and Apple Watch?

Log out, sleep, wake, restart, or shut down your Mac

Restart your iPhone

How to restart your Apple Watch

Also, you should double-check your Apple ID settings on your Mac to confirm that you are signed into the same Apple ID as your other devices.

Next, verify that all three devices are up to date with software.

macOS is 11.4: How to update the software on your Mac

iOS version is 14.6: Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

watchOS version is 7.5: Update your Apple Watch

Still having the same issue after those steps? You'll want to contact Apple Support, so they can look further into what's happening. Get Support

Cheers.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 2, 2021 7:51 AM in response to Andrew_Okhota

Hi Andrew_Okhota,

Have you tried restarting your Mac, iPhone and Apple Watch?

Log out, sleep, wake, restart, or shut down your Mac

Restart your iPhone

How to restart your Apple Watch

Also, you should double-check your Apple ID settings on your Mac to confirm that you are signed into the same Apple ID as your other devices.

Next, verify that all three devices are up to date with software.

macOS is 11.4: How to update the software on your Mac

iOS version is 14.6: Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

watchOS version is 7.5: Update your Apple Watch

Still having the same issue after those steps? You'll want to contact Apple Support, so they can look further into what's happening. Get Support

Cheers.

Jun 2, 2021 5:54 AM in response to Andrew_Okhota

Hey Andrew,

Thanks for posting your question in Apple Support Communities!

With your specific situation you will need to be sure that all devices are signed into iCloud. You can do this on your iPhone by going to Settings > Your Name > Password & Security. If it doesn't ask you to enter your Apple ID password then it means you are signed in. Next, you will need to go to the Watch app and sign in as well. You can do this by going to My Watches > Settings > Apple ID. Lastly, you will need to confirm your Mac is signed in by going to System Preferences > Apple ID > Overview.

Best Wishes.

Jun 2, 2021 6:32 AM in response to ryane77

Thank you, I understand this. And the issue is that all my devices (iPhone, MacBook Pro, Apple Watch and iPad Pro) are signed in to my iCloud account and I still cannot unlock my Mac with my Apple Watch. Every time I click “Allow your Apple Watch to unlock your Mac” I get the same message: “Your Apple Watch must be signed in to iCloud to allow it to unlock your Mac”. But it is signed in!

What can I do to fix this? Is there anyone else who has the same issue?

My Apple Watch is signed in to my iCloud account, but I still can not use the Watch to unlock my Mac. Why?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.