Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Your Apple Watch must be signed in to iCloud to allow it to unlock your Mac.

I have been able to unlock my Macbook previously with my Apple Watch, but stopped being able to do so. I have restarted my mac, my phone and watch to no avail. I even unpaired and repaired the watch. Nothing. They all have wifi/bluetooth enabled, etc.

MacBook Pro running Monterey 12.2.1

iPhone 11 15.3.1

Watch OS 8.4.2

Is this a bug? Anything else I can try?

Apple Watch Series 5

Posted on Feb 15, 2022 1:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 16, 2022 7:00 PM

I was able to fix this myself.

My mac was on my 5GHz network and the Apple Watch was on the 2.4GHz network. I switched to 2.4 on the Mac and was able to enable the unlock setting. I then switched the mac back to 5GHZ and everything is working fine.

Similar questions

2 replies

Feb 16, 2022 12:39 PM in response to BradSchauf

Hi Oro Valley,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. We understand you are seeing an alert when you try to unlock your Mac with your Apple Watch and we'd like to help.

Since you have taken some great troubleshooting steps already and your device are updated, let's try testing this issue while booted up into safe mode or under a test user account.

How to use safe mode on your Mac

Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

Delete a user or group on Mac (to remove the test account once completed)

Keep us posted on your findings and if the issue persists, just let us know.

Cheers!

Your Apple Watch must be signed in to iCloud to allow it to unlock your Mac.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.