Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch Doesn’t Record Heart Rate Start of Exercise

Every single time I do an exercise such as a run my heart rate doesn’t record my heart rate for the first 5 mins or so. And before you say my band is too loose, it’s positioned tightly. I was just wondering if anyone knew why this is a thing?

Apple Watch

Posted on Jun 1, 2021 5:46 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Jun 2, 2021 8:20 AM in response to L-o-u-i-s

Hello L-o-u-i-s,

We see your Apple Watch isn't reporting your heart rate at the beginning of a workout, and understand wanting to get this resolved. We'll be happy to help!

When you start your run, do you Use the Workout app on your Apple Watch to start the workout or do you allow your Apple Watch to detect your workout? If you're starting the workout, let's make sure you Get the most accurate measurements using your Apple Watch.

Keep in mind, many factors can affect the performance of the Apple Watch heart rate sensor. Skin perfusion (or how much blood flows through your skin) is one factor. Skin perfusion varies significantly from person to person and can also be impacted by the environment. If you’re exercising in the cold, for example, the skin perfusion in your wrist might be too low for the heart rate sensor to get a reading.

Permanent or temporary changes to your skin, such as some tattoos, can also impact heart rate sensor performance. The ink, pattern, and saturation of some tattoos can block light from the sensor, making it difficult to get reliable readings.

Motion is another factor that can affect the heart rate sensor. Rhythmic movements, such as running or cycling, give better results compared to irregular movements, like tennis or boxing.

If you’re not able to get a consistent reading because of any of these factors, you can connect your Apple Watch wirelessly to external heart rate monitors such as Bluetooth chest straps. Learn how to pair Bluetooth accessories.

Heart rate is one of many factors that Apple Watch uses to measure your activity and exercise. Depending on your workout, it selects the most appropriate inputs for that activity. For example, when you’re running indoors, it also uses the accelerometer. Learn more about how your Apple Watch uses GPS and the heart rate sensor when you use the Workout app.

We hope this information can help identify and resolve this issue for you.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. Have a good one!

Apple Watch Doesn’t Record Heart Rate Start of Exercise

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.