Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airpods Max clicking sound during movement (right side only)

Hi,

so I have a very troublesome issue with my AirPods Max.

Quite often when I walk (exactly when putting my right foot down), or when I just sit still and move my head sideways I get this clicking sound in the right can of the AirPods Max...

It goes click-click-click-click extremely quickly (3-5 times a second) and sounds like a sped up version of somebody clicking a pen fiercely....

I imagine there is some physical microswitch inside that is stuck in some ultra-sensitive position, but that's just speculation from my side.

I would have sent them in for warranty repair but the problem is that the issue is somewhat intermittent, and from time to time I can go a few days without hearing it and then suddenly its back at full force...

I've tried resetting the headphones multiple times (holding down both buttons until it re-pairs) without it seemingly effecting anything... I've also tested with different playback devices to verify that the issue isn't related to a specific paired device.

Anyone seen this before? Is it a known issue?

Posted on Jun 1, 2021 2:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 1, 2021 2:41 PM

Hmmm,

This is very unusual, and this should not be happening with your AirPods Max.

Unfortunately, I do not know a fix, as you have tried to reset them, and had no luck.

What I would do is bring them into an Apple Store, and tell them your problem.

You can also call Apple Support, or make an appointment at the Genius Bar.

Refer to the link below:

https://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 1, 2021 2:41 PM in response to thnp

Hmmm,

This is very unusual, and this should not be happening with your AirPods Max.

Unfortunately, I do not know a fix, as you have tried to reset them, and had no luck.

What I would do is bring them into an Apple Store, and tell them your problem.

You can also call Apple Support, or make an appointment at the Genius Bar.

Refer to the link below:

https://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/

Jun 2, 2021 12:19 AM in response to thnp

Ohhh,

I understand what you are saying now. That is a pretty tough situation you are in. From what you are telling me about your issue it does sound like a hardware issue, as I had this same problem with my AirPods Pro. I do not think there is an at home fix to them, so the only bet is that if you are ever somewhere that does have an Apple Store, then I would take them in. Other than that, unless you want to drive super far, you would unfortunately have to live with it. I am extremely sorry that I was not able to help resolve your issue, and I hope you the best!

Jun 1, 2021 11:10 PM in response to JudeGuzlan

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately there are no Apple Stores where I live, and the local apple certified repair stores requires that the original invoice from where I bought them states the serial number of the product (which it doesn't).

I can bring it back to the place I bought it (electronics retail store) but they don't repair the device but send it to another country(!) where their service center is.... If they can't find a fault I have to pay for shipping both ways + a service fee totaling more than $100.

I've done this before with my Airpods which had (and still has!) intermittent problems with not charging and/or being recognized by my devices, but of course this didn't appear when tested in the repair center and I had to foot the bill.

As this is also an intermittent problem I'm cautious of taking them back to the store....

I did some more googling last night after posting and I did in fact find multiple posts about "clicking @ right earpiece", but these all mentioned clicking from the hinge. My AirPods has no external clicking from any part, its just apparent inside the can during use.

Jun 2, 2021 12:15 AM in response to JudeGuzlan

Hi and thanks again for replying!

Unfortunately the problem is not locating the S/N, but the Apple certified service center requires that the S/N is written on the receipt and that this S/N matches the one on the device. The retailer did not provide the S/N on the receipt so the local service center refuses to repair it under Apple warranty, leaving me with the only option to send it back to the retailer (which I don’t want to do due to the intermittent nature of the problem) :)

Jun 13, 2021 7:50 AM in response to thnp

I had the same issue. Took them into the Apple Store and they were sending them off for repair. Before they did I received a call saying they had found water in them. They’ve never been near rain or actual water. However, I did wear them when I was out for a hike so any damage has come from ordinary sweat.

Thankfully I have AppleCare+ which means if there is a repair cost it will be relatively small. However, if I have to pay for the repair I’m going to be pretty annoyed given what I’ve already spent on the AirPod Max plus AppleCare+. Especially, as I was wearing them in fairly ordinary circumstances.

It’s a little nuts that Apple is shipping a headphone product that carries the chance of getting damaged if you wear them during exercise.

Jun 13, 2021 8:12 AM in response to JudeGuzlan

They have quoted £25 so, if I have to pay, it will still be worth getting them repaired.

I never had this issue with Sony M3s so it’s disappointing that I will have to curtail when I wear my AirPod Max. Seems flawed that I’m adapting to them as opposed to my AirPod Max enhancing my lifestyle. And it’s exercise! Apple is meant to be all about promoting exercise.

Jun 13, 2021 8:17 AM in response to Alan Garland

I completely understand!

I am also actually kind of disappointed with my AirPods Max. I got them like a week ago, and I am also hearing clicking noises in them as this post is talking about. Extremely disappointing as they were really expensive. I hope you are able to resolve your issue, and have no problems in the future!

And the fact that they kind of went backwards with the AirPods Max. Being that the AirPods Pro are a bit water and dust resistant, don’t you think they will make the Max’s too, since they are little more than double the price of the Pros. That is what gets me really upset. :/

Jun 15, 2021 5:24 AM in response to JudeGuzlan

Update:

I got my Airpods Max back today from the store. They are repaired under warranty.

Unfortunately the service center that repaired them has not specified what they actually did with them so I can't forward that information to you good people here. However the right ear-cup was covered in "clingy plastic" and I believe they have replaced it (except for the foam part which have a small visible stain that I recognize).

Airpods Max clicking sound during movement (right side only)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.