Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud-related components stop functioning after renaming home folder

I just renamed my home folder on my MacBook and iCloud-related stuff stopped working altogether. I couldn't access the Apple ID item from System Preferences because it freezes, I can't use Apple Music, and App Store is malfunctioning. Any ideas on how this could be fixed?

Posted on Jun 2, 2021 9:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2021 8:39 PM

System Preferences freeze immediately as I click on Apple ID, and there are no error messages for both apps, just large blank screens.

BUT! After I restarted my MacBook again a prompt to sign-in again magically appeared and everything's solved now. Thank you for your help.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 3, 2021 8:39 PM in response to DiZoE

System Preferences freeze immediately as I click on Apple ID, and there are no error messages for both apps, just large blank screens.

BUT! After I restarted my MacBook again a prompt to sign-in again magically appeared and everything's solved now. Thank you for your help.

Jun 2, 2021 9:48 PM in response to lca10

Hey Ica 10!

How did you change the home folder name,

If you didn’t follow this article explicitly, it may cause issues with the user permissions:

Change the name of your macOS user account and home folder:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201548

It does have to be done from a different Admin account, both the physical home folder in Finder, THEN matching the name to the home directory in System Preferences > Users and Groups > User > Advanced Options.

If it wasn’t done this way, you may need to create a new admin account and log into that one to correct it, and match the home folder/username and the home folder directory.

This may or may not be how it happened, but I have seen this procedure done differently cause many issues as far as permissions go, let me know, happy to help if I can!

iCloud-related components stop functioning after renaming home folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.