Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

M1 mac and Big Sur 11.4, Connect SMB Server Issues - Persistent!

This has been happening since getting our M1 Mini at the office since January.

Other threads here have been closed. Can no longer reply. When can this SMB server connection issue be addressed.

Our M1 Macs can connect to our Synology servers, and multiple server mounts. Stays connected, but is periodically disconnecting. As we use files.

Is it related to Acrobat and Adobe Files? I can't see. But we use our files while connected to the server with Quick Look often becoming unresponsive on the Mac. And it usually ties to Acrobat and InDesign freezing as well. Is it because they're still emulating in Rosetta as non-native apps?

But it freezes Photoshop now as well. Even attempting to open a PSD from the server. Sometimes is works and others it doesn't. Even though Photoshop is now apple silicon native. It almost seems like a permissions issue. And files give disk error logs for Photoshop, unless I first copy to my desktop and work on it, and copy back to the server.

Running an App like EasyFind to search files on the SMB servers also returns no results. Even though a co-worker right next to me using an intel Mac finds everything.

This needs to be addresses quickly, with Finder hangs and server inconsistency with staying connected crash these Finder, QuickLook and adobe services mid file working. This even occurs if Finder is in Column view and selecting a file on that server tries to preview draw the file in the next column, when it's acting up. So I then have to switch to list view so it doesn't try to QuickLook into the file thumbnail I assume.

If anyone has any successful workaround, until this is resolved, I'd love to hear it. thanks.

Martin

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Jun 4, 2021 10:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2021 9:05 AM

I have similar problems to Martin but I've been mostly connecting to my Synology using AFP. A a lot of the times it is with acrobat files when you save and close and go to move it right away. I am running three M1s 2 minis and a MacBook Pro. I save a file on the server and then go to move it to another share on the same server get the wicked beach ball spinning and then a finder crash and disconnect from the mounted shares. We really do need some help here, we can be running at a good clip and then this just crushes productivity.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 7, 2021 9:05 AM in response to kernelpaniq

I have similar problems to Martin but I've been mostly connecting to my Synology using AFP. A a lot of the times it is with acrobat files when you save and close and go to move it right away. I am running three M1s 2 minis and a MacBook Pro. I save a file on the server and then go to move it to another share on the same server get the wicked beach ball spinning and then a finder crash and disconnect from the mounted shares. We really do need some help here, we can be running at a good clip and then this just crushes productivity.

Jul 7, 2021 10:25 PM in response to PrepressKen

Yes indeed. I have been able to see this practically disappear over the past few weeks by relying all servers saved in my keychain and saved servers. Then re-saved synology shares to include the user name within in the server address. That appears to be staying stable. No more finder crashes or acrobat hang ups or file browsing beachballs.

the only things that remain is the intermittent inability to open photoshop files directly from the server. Disk error appears. So just copy to my desktop, work on the file and save as back over original. And at times copying. A file into another folder on the share giving a file already exists error. Even though it doesn’t. Same thing, just copying it to my desktop first, then to its destination.

Jul 15, 2021 12:43 PM in response to kernelpaniq

kernelpaniq can you give me a step-by-step of what you did that helped solve this problem? I am not sure i understand what is meant by "relying all servers saved in my keychain"

I am trying to help a colleague who has an M1 mac mini who is losing his server connection several times a day even though VPN is not dropping, and his wifi/internet etc is stable.

Thanks!

Jul 17, 2021 8:53 AM in response to BlakeDennis13

Hey. Autocorrect errors on iPhone.

I deleted all of the servers saved in the connect to server list. Making sure all passwords were deleted out of keychain.

not at my Mac at work now to see exactly, but then hit connect to server, and entered the server login with my user account in the address. Something along the lines of:

smb://username@sharename

I’ll check again at the office.

hope that can’t help

Jul 19, 2021 1:48 PM in response to BlakeDennis13

Ok. So for the server connection, I entered as an example, the following:

Cmd K: Connect to server. Enter in the name and save to favorites.

smb://myusername:*@SynologyDriveName/ShareFolderName

Then login with your password. Saves to keychain. and that's permanently in my Server list, with whatever number of share names you have. And that's been working.

-m

M1 mac and Big Sur 11.4, Connect SMB Server Issues - Persistent!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.