Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Carplay not giving navigation voice directions.

Okay here is my situation.

My update to 14.6 on XR has created a problem with voice navigation.

Apple Maps and Waze no longer give audio for directions.

Google maps will give directions as long as Apple Music or Podcast are not playing. So radio and SiriusXM can be used and voice directions come over the speakers.

this only happens in my 2019 Jaguar F-pace. When I use navigation in my wife’s car there are no problems. My wife’s iPhone 12 Pro has the same error in my car. However it was the 14.6 upgrade that killed CarPlay Navigation voice with both phones in this car.

iPhone XR

Posted on Jun 4, 2021 4:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2021 5:39 PM

I am having the exact same problem with my iPhone12 Pro Max (14.6) in my Range Rover Sport SVR... I get no audio for Google, Waze or Apple Maps, no sounds for any notifications, no keyboard clicks, etc. I do get audio for Apple Music and Pandora like normal and the phone is working correctly.

I have noticed two interesting things:

1) If I switch audio to my AirPods Pro, everything works as expected.

2) If I unplug my iPhone from the USB on the RRS. the last audio message from my Nav plays on my iPhone internal speaker.

I have done all of the suggested "fixes", hard restarted my phone with all apps killed and toggled Siri... still not working. I am at the latest version of the Land Rover software. So, either my Land Rover software is not compatible with CarPlay in 14.6, or 14.6 has changes that are not backward compatible...or some serious bugs.

I called Apple support and they were unusually not helpful with this bug. They suggested I do all the above fixes and then told me I needed to re-install my iOS, which I will not do. It was obviously a heavily scripted call. Then they suggested I contact my vehicle vendor... I did not bother to ask to a senior advisor.

Similar questions

34 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 13, 2021 5:39 PM in response to valen113

I am having the exact same problem with my iPhone12 Pro Max (14.6) in my Range Rover Sport SVR... I get no audio for Google, Waze or Apple Maps, no sounds for any notifications, no keyboard clicks, etc. I do get audio for Apple Music and Pandora like normal and the phone is working correctly.

I have noticed two interesting things:

1) If I switch audio to my AirPods Pro, everything works as expected.

2) If I unplug my iPhone from the USB on the RRS. the last audio message from my Nav plays on my iPhone internal speaker.

I have done all of the suggested "fixes", hard restarted my phone with all apps killed and toggled Siri... still not working. I am at the latest version of the Land Rover software. So, either my Land Rover software is not compatible with CarPlay in 14.6, or 14.6 has changes that are not backward compatible...or some serious bugs.

I called Apple support and they were unusually not helpful with this bug. They suggested I do all the above fixes and then told me I needed to re-install my iOS, which I will not do. It was obviously a heavily scripted call. Then they suggested I contact my vehicle vendor... I did not bother to ask to a senior advisor.

Jun 9, 2021 4:34 AM in response to 1ssmith

Gave it a try and still have the same issue.

the only mapping App that seems to have voice is google maps. That only works if I do not use any other CarPlay apps with sound. So I must listen to broadcast radio or to Sirius. If I switch to Apple Music or Podcast no voice directions.

my thought is somehow their is a breakdown now between the jag Android head unit and the 14.6 upgrade.

I’ll ask my dealer at the next service to see if there is a new software release available for the infotainment system.

Jul 26, 2021 11:05 AM in response to CUtiger95

New Information: I posted this to the Facebook JLR SVR Owners Group four days ago:

-> I spoke with JLR USA early today and told them I wanted to discuss an Infotainment issue. Before mentioning anything else, they immediately came back and wanted to know if I was having difficulties with the latest version of AppleCarPlay. I confirmed that was my issue. In an unusually transparent response, they confirmed there are incompatibilities with the latest Apple release in the May-21 JLR update, and have received many hundreds of complaints. They said Engineering is working on an update, but could not give me a release date. They did tell me that although the fix will be sent OTA, that might not totally solve the problem…there have been internal discussions that a TCU update might also be required (which will need to be performed by a dealer). They could not confirm if this problem was isolated to the USA, but did suggest it was probably a global issue.

Jun 9, 2021 10:17 AM in response to CUtiger95

Hey CUtiger95,

Thanks for trying those steps.

Step 7 in the article we referenced, which is to contact your car manufacturer to ensure your head unit has the latest firmware, is a great next step. We're glad to hear you have this planned out already.

If the dealer states all is fine on their end, and your head unit is running the latest firmware but the issue remains, we'd recommend contacting Apple Support for further assistance after that: Get Support

Thanks!

Jul 20, 2021 6:46 PM in response to netispguy

I’m sorry to say that this issue has not been totally resolved with the release of 14.7, although there has been some improvement. I am able make it work about 50% of the time. The only way I can even come close is to make sure the audio source in set to AppleCarPlay. If I switch to another source (e.g, select “satellite”), I loose all notification audio (including guidance audio from Apple, Google, and Waze, etc. ) Everything else, such as phone, music apps, etc.) is working correctly.

Hopefully, JLR is working on an update that is compatible with whatever apple changed.

Jul 26, 2021 10:38 AM in response to CUtiger95

We’ll update to the Saga.

Effectively if you have a Jaguar Land Rover equipped with CarPlay you liking have faulty maps. The dealer just printed out a page with all these various cars that no longer work after upgrade to your head deck and 14.6. It appears to all be in the side of JLR and not really Apple at least that was the dealers comment. He said hopefully with the WiFi updates in the coming weeks or months they will get it fixed.

Jul 27, 2021 10:27 PM in response to netispguy

Hi. I'm on an even newer version of iOS and the lack of voice guidance with CarPlay is still present on both our JLR cars. The solution, for us, is, while using CarPlay navigation, to switch the audio source to radio for a few seconds and then back to CarPlay and this restores the audio guidance in Apple Maps, Google Maps and Waze.

Our son is using an aftermarket Kenwood head unit in his Ford Focus and he doesn't have this issue, neither wired or wireless, so it's definitely a JLR problem...

Sep 23, 2021 7:27 AM in response to Basti184

The only widespread problem I’ve heard about is with JLR. At this point, JLR is not only being totally irresponsible, but in my mind totally negligent in addressing a major problem within their software platform.

Why did JLR even put CarPlay on the infotainment system if the do not intend to support it? … and please, no Covid BS.

Carplay not giving navigation voice directions.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.