Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Apple TV4K Dolby Atmos Audio Distortion on Disney+ App

Have the new Apple TV 4K (had been using a previous model ATV up to now with no issues), and when we try to watch things on Disney+ it will turn on Atmos then start playing with what sounds like a low rumble and white noise over the show volume. (Only appears to happen in the Disney+ app but I’m unsure if any other apps play in Atmos but will investigate further.)

I feel like the system may be trying to send a full 7.1 signal but I only have a 5.1 setup.

Going into the Apple TV settings under Audio Format and switching from Auto to Dolby Digital 5.1 does fix the issue.

But I’m concerned that by turning off Atmos, I’m missing out on the better audio experience. I am aware you can still play Atmos on 5.1 systems and gain benefits over a usual 5.1 audio stream.

Does anyone know how Apple handles the setting? Does it convert Atmos to 5.1 while retaining the Atmos benefits? Should we be changing the audio format manually or is it best to leave it on Auto? Or perhaps this is just a bug with the Disney+ app?

Posted on Jun 5, 2021 2:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2021 7:07 AM

Hey EssentialParadox,

Thanks for posting your question about your audio issues in Apple Support Communities! After doing some research into this issue it appears that Disney Plus is having some issues with audio playback at this time using Dolby Atmos with Apple TV. There don't appear to be any official troubleshooting steps recommended by Disney at this time, but keeping your app up to date at this time would be the best course of action.

Best wishes.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 6, 2021 7:07 AM in response to EssentialParadox

Hey EssentialParadox,

Thanks for posting your question about your audio issues in Apple Support Communities! After doing some research into this issue it appears that Disney Plus is having some issues with audio playback at this time using Dolby Atmos with Apple TV. There don't appear to be any official troubleshooting steps recommended by Disney at this time, but keeping your app up to date at this time would be the best course of action.

Best wishes.

New Apple TV4K Dolby Atmos Audio Distortion on Disney+ App

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.