Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ATV 4K Gen 2 Siri remote connection issues

This is a weird one!

I have three 4K ATVs and use the Siri remote to control the volume on all 3.

A. Gen 2 with Gen 2 Siri remote - hooked up to an AV Receiver via ARC on the Sony SmartTV.

B. Gen 1 with Gen 2 Siri remote - hooked up to Samsung SmartTV.

C. Gen 1 with Gen 2 Siri remote - hooked up to a 2009 Pioneer Plasma.

A and B both work perfectly.

C is the problem child. When attempting to adjust the volume, it works for a couple of clicks and then just bombs out and reconnects again approx 20 seconds later. The volume adjustment does actually work though, for a short time. Browsing around the OS is perfect, it's only when using the IR to control volume it drops out.

It's not a distance thing since the other two TVs work fine from approx 10m away. The factory remote for C also works fine.

I dug out the old Gen 1 Siri remote and that works perfectly.

Now, is this an issue with a Gen 2 remote on a Gen 1 box, or is there something strange about the Plasma TV the Gen 2 remote just doesn't like?

It's got me stumped.

For now I'm using the Gen 1 remote for setup C, but if anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears as I'd rather use the Gen 2 remote. There is no word from Apple on any compatibility issues, and it also appears I'm alone with this problem on the internet!

Posted on Jun 5, 2021 5:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2021 8:29 AM

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities, Igloo.

We understand you're having some difficulties with one of your Apple TV remotes and it sounds like you've taken some great isolation steps so far. We'll want to have you take a look at the "Get help with your Siri Remote or Apple TV Remote" section of the following resource and work through those steps to try and manually program your remote for volume connection, since it seems to be dropping with the automatic connection.

If you can't control your TV or receiver with your Apple TV Remote

If you continue to experience the same behavior, we suggest working through the steps in "If your Apple TV remote isn't working". As stated at the bottom of the steps included, you should contact Apple Support if you still are having difficulties with your Apple TV remote. You can see your available support options at the link below.

Get Support

We hope this helps!

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 6, 2021 8:29 AM in response to Igloo

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities, Igloo.

We understand you're having some difficulties with one of your Apple TV remotes and it sounds like you've taken some great isolation steps so far. We'll want to have you take a look at the "Get help with your Siri Remote or Apple TV Remote" section of the following resource and work through those steps to try and manually program your remote for volume connection, since it seems to be dropping with the automatic connection.

If you can't control your TV or receiver with your Apple TV Remote

If you continue to experience the same behavior, we suggest working through the steps in "If your Apple TV remote isn't working". As stated at the bottom of the steps included, you should contact Apple Support if you still are having difficulties with your Apple TV remote. You can see your available support options at the link below.

Get Support

We hope this helps!

Jun 11, 2021 7:10 PM in response to Igloo

Hi, if you have problems with Apple TV & new Siri remote learning IR from your TV remote (or AV Receiver remote or Soundbar remote).

Replace the Batteries

Weak batteries generate poor quality IR signals with fluctuating code structuring and frequency. The original remote may still work with your device, but these unreliable IR signals from weak batteries can cause issues when being learned. The signal strength may be too weak or erratic to be properly picked up by Apple TV during learning. Install brand new batteries in your TV remote (or AV Receiver remote or Soundbar remote).

I that does not work try IR Trouble Shooting for Siri Remote.

Source: New Apple Siri Remote 2021 Owner’s Thread + FAQs + User Guides + News.

Jun 11, 2021 7:14 PM in response to Igloo

P.S. If batteries were good on original remote when Gen 1 learned and batteries are weak now, it may explain why Gen 1 works and Gen 2 Siri remote does not.

I have heard some rumors, don't know if they are true that new Remote has a new IR transmitter, and someone reported IR problems with some RCA equipment with new remote.

New Apple Siri Remote 2021 Owner’s Thread + FAQs + User Guides + News.

ATV 4K Gen 2 Siri remote connection issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.