Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPhone 8 & JVC KW-V950BW wireless CarPlay radio

I have an aftermarket radio, JVC kw-V950BT. Wireless CarPlay worked perfectly with my iPhone 8 after install for about a month or two on iOS 12. Now, when I try to answer a call, I can hear the person on the other end, but they can’t hear me. If I try to speak to text through the radio, Siri cannot hear me. I have gone through iOS 13 and now 14 with no fix. I have taken the dash apart to verify the external microphone connection to the back of the radio did not disconnect itself from vibration. I have updated to the latest firmware for the radio and the Maestro unit(updated in May 2021). The JVC radio uses the maestro RR unit to interface with my 2013 F150 that was originally equipped with the factory 4.3-inch Sync radio. In order for me to speak to someone, I have to disable CarPlay and use my phone, which is a safety issue. There is one strange thing that occurs: if I attempt to initiate a text message through the radio, Siri will ask me what I want to do. I will respond that I want to send a message to someone. Siri responds by saying “ok, what do you want to say”, clearly hearing the command. But, after that nothing I say is picked up by the unit.

iPhone 8, iOS 14

Posted on Jun 6, 2021 7:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 9, 2021 2:55 PM

Update July 9,2021: Problem was solved! JVC had me double-check the external microphone, instructing me to remove it from the vehicle and connect it to a phone or PC. Upon removal, I discovered that the cord had somehow been sheared, an absolute clean cut, somewhere under the dash. I would have not have suspected the microphone to be the problem since it worked for about 2 months after installing then stopped working, so I ruled it out as a possibility. It is strange though, when I disconnected the cord for the microphone, the built-in internal microphone was not picking up my voice when speaking either, even after initializing the stereo as JVC instructed. I purchased a new microphone, plugged it in, and Siri picked up everything I spoke when sending a message. Thank you all for putting ideas out there for me to help solve this problem.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 9, 2021 2:55 PM in response to i_rina

Update July 9,2021: Problem was solved! JVC had me double-check the external microphone, instructing me to remove it from the vehicle and connect it to a phone or PC. Upon removal, I discovered that the cord had somehow been sheared, an absolute clean cut, somewhere under the dash. I would have not have suspected the microphone to be the problem since it worked for about 2 months after installing then stopped working, so I ruled it out as a possibility. It is strange though, when I disconnected the cord for the microphone, the built-in internal microphone was not picking up my voice when speaking either, even after initializing the stereo as JVC instructed. I purchased a new microphone, plugged it in, and Siri picked up everything I spoke when sending a message. Thank you all for putting ideas out there for me to help solve this problem.

Jun 7, 2021 9:33 AM in response to Sandouble

Hello Sandouble,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities!

We understand that CarPlay is not working as expected with your radio. We’d like to help.

Are you able to use a wired connection with the CarPlay stereo?

We recommend checking out some of the other solutions in If you need help with CarPlay.

Do you have any other Apple devices that you could try connecting and testing with CarPlay and that radio? That would possibly help isolate the issue to the device or the radio.

It might also be helpful to contact the radio manufacturer support to check on the settings and connections.

Take care.

Jun 12, 2021 11:35 AM in response to leahspy

I have verified that it does not work even when using a lightning cable. I erased the phone from the decks’ memory and cleared it from my phone, then disabled WiFi and Bluetooth. I connected the phone via lightning cable to the USB port designated for iPhone use for the deck. CarPlay initiated immediately and I attempted to send a message by use of the stereo. Siri asked what I want to say, chimed, I spoke, but Siri did not pick it up. I also reset my network setting via the General settings menu, which did not fix the issue. My next step is to try another phone. I will attempt to contact JVC as my last step, as I want to try to eliminate everything for iPhone and CarPlay.

Jun 22, 2021 5:54 AM in response to Sandouble

Sandouble,

Thank you for the update! Have you contacted the radio manufacturer? If another Apple device running the latest iOS resulted in the same issue, it seems like there may be an issue with compatibility or the radio itself. The manufacturer support would be best to confirm all of this.

Have a great day.

Jun 26, 2021 1:32 PM in response to i_rina

I will contact JVC as my next step and see if they may have a solution. I will keep this thread alive, as a quick google search shows others are are having issues with other manufacturers of radios as well after the iOS 12 update. Just as additional info, I re-flashed the maestro RR module that enables the vehicle to fully integrate into the deck, but this time disabled the factory Ford Microsoft SYNC system. My thought was perhaps a Bluetooth connection was being made with SYNC and not allowing CarPlay to hear me, but it had no effect.

Jul 3, 2021 1:52 PM in response to Sandouble

Update July 3, 2021: I contacted JVC Support and they suggested the following:

I understand you are inquiring about the KW-V950BW. I recommend that you test the Bluetooth feature on the unit without connecting to CarPlay via USB. Simply connect to the unit via Bluetooth and make a test call. If the issue continues, pair and test a different phone via Bluetooth to rule out a compatibility issue. 

I cleared the stereo from my iPhone and cleared my phone from the stereo. I connected the phone as directed, Bluetooth only. When making a test call, I had the same situation; I could hear the other caller, but they could not hear me.

I will try to test using another iPhone and an android phone and report back.

Jul 5, 2021 10:10 AM in response to i_rina

July 5, 2021: I have tried some troubleshooting steps that were recommended by JVC, but still had the same outcome. The steps included trying to connect my iPhone vis Bluetooth only, no Carplay, but had no success. I then tried using my friend’s Android phone via Bluetooth only and Android Auto, but still had the same problem. I reported my findings back to JVC and hopefully will hear back from them soon.

IPhone 8 & JVC KW-V950BW wireless CarPlay radio

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.