Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Making room on my hd

I am trying to make more room on my hd by placing folders on an sd drive. What is the best way to go about this?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 8, 2021 4:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 8, 2021 2:00 PM

• Connect the external drive to the Mac

use an external USB SSD or hard drive, not an SD Card, they are slow to copy to, they don't have the larger capacity required for storing files and are not as reliable as SSD or hard drives.

Every user should use an external drive for storing work and for backing up.

• open two Finder windows and position them side by side
  • using the left window, Navigate to the folder to be moved
  • click on the folder to select it, then drag the folder on to the right window showing the external drive
  • go back to the selected folder on the Mac, right click and select move to Bin
  • repeat the process for further folders

• When completed empty the bin

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 8, 2021 2:00 PM in response to jimfromsachse

• Connect the external drive to the Mac

use an external USB SSD or hard drive, not an SD Card, they are slow to copy to, they don't have the larger capacity required for storing files and are not as reliable as SSD or hard drives.

Every user should use an external drive for storing work and for backing up.

• open two Finder windows and position them side by side
  • using the left window, Navigate to the folder to be moved
  • click on the folder to select it, then drag the folder on to the right window showing the external drive
  • go back to the selected folder on the Mac, right click and select move to Bin
  • repeat the process for further folders

• When completed empty the bin

Making room on my hd

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.