Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

carplay not working after update to 14.6

I can't get my Iphone 12 Pro to connect to apple car play in any of my vehicles since update to 14.6. Won't connect wirelessly or with USB. Any ideas?

iPhone 12 Pro

Posted on Jun 8, 2021 1:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 11, 2021 4:49 PM

I have recently done the 14.6 update and now wired CarPlay will not work. It cant even find my car in the CarPlay settings.

I’ve tried everything from turning Siri off, restarting phone, deleting phone from car and restoring through Bluetooth connection. Tried new USB cables but nothing!!

This is totally frustrating, please help!!

40 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 11, 2021 4:49 PM in response to melissa_m77

I have recently done the 14.6 update and now wired CarPlay will not work. It cant even find my car in the CarPlay settings.

I’ve tried everything from turning Siri off, restarting phone, deleting phone from car and restoring through Bluetooth connection. Tried new USB cables but nothing!!

This is totally frustrating, please help!!

Jun 19, 2021 9:43 AM in response to category4

I Emailed Uconnect because of the same problem with my 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee and my iPhone 12 Pro. They got back to me saying this "is due to a specification change from Apple, CarPlay is no longer able to be

used from the center console or rear USB ports on any vehicle with software application level IR22.5 or higher. As it was a specification change from Apple, I would advise for you to reach out to them to see if they have a patch

in the works to fix this".

I have the latest version of the uconnect software installed in the car and it worked beautifully until the last iOS update to 14.6. I am SURE that this is a MAJOR problem with all users trying to use CarPlay. The message on the screen tells me that the device (my iPhone) is not supported.

At this point I think Apple should check into this situation.

Jun 9, 2021 11:23 AM in response to category4

Hi category4,

It sounds like you're experiencing a connection issue with CarPlay after updating to 14.6. We're glad you've joined us in Apple Support Communities. Let's see if this helps.

If you need help with CarPlay follow these steps. It sounds like you've completed some of the troubleshooting there, but we wanted to double-check that you tried all of the steps there. It will guide you through the common steps to resolve not being able to connect to CarPlay. 

If the issue remains after following those steps, let us know what you found when you investigated your car's firmware version and checked that against your car manufacturer's latest firmware version number. 

We hope that helps with your question and take care! 

Jul 7, 2021 5:54 AM in response to category4

So I am experiencing similar issues after 14.6 with Iphone 11 Pro Max. Below were the tests I have ran.. on 2018 Honda Accord w/Carplay hardwired with USB

• Have NEVER had an issue I could not resolve with reboot of phone (used Carplay for years on previous vehicles & phones)
  • rebooted phone & Hard Reboot
  • Factory Reset Infotainment
  • Did the Siri "on off"
  • Went through all other checks with Apple Advisor

Now for the strange part...

> my kids Iphone 10 works on my 2018 Accord Carplay....

> My wifes phone 12 ProMax w/ 14.6 works on my 2018 Accord Carplay.

> MY IPHONE 11 PROMAX works on our 2021 Pilot Carplay??

My point is this is an intermittent issue with 14.6...IOS. Apple needs to remedy.

Jun 22, 2021 1:21 AM in response to category4

Well after a week of grief and trying everything under the sun as per all the posts and blogs..,..it was as simple as doing a hard reset or the car media (R-link 2: hold down the on/off button once on) and the iPhone 12 Pro Max hard reset and wolah connects and works without any problems. On ios14.6 too. Only had clay issues after the 14.6 update.

Jun 27, 2021 2:29 AM in response to Sult87

I recently upgraded to iOS 14.6 as well and my wired CarPlay is not working anymore either. I keep getting the message “Unable to connect to iPhone.”

I have never had issues with CarPlay before. I’ve tried to reset iPhone and my car connections, change cords, and tried to do the turn on/off Siri fix. None of these have worked. Access to CarPlay is extremely important for me when I drive. Is there anyway to escalate this to Apple devs to make sure it’s fixed ASAP?

Jun 30, 2021 1:15 PM in response to category4

Well after a week of no AirPlay connection in my car and researching and calling Uconnect for some unknown reason it has returned to connectivity in my 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I was very concerned about this and posted here a little over a week ago but I just decided to wait it out to see if Apple would push another update. No Apple update and no software update to my car's system but I checked yesterday to see if it would work and low and behold it did. I did no resets though that sounded like a great idea to try if it had not come back on its own. I am once again a happy camper.

carplay not working after update to 14.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.