Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Music stopping after 15 seconds. Error code 16833

After the spatial Audio launch today, songs only play for 15 seconds and then cut off.

i got error code (-16833)

anyone help?

iPhone 12 Pro Max

Posted on Jun 8, 2021 1:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 16, 2021 2:00 AM

Even if i turn off dolby and reinstall my music it doesn't work...

this is pretty unacceptable of apple, people pay for this stuff...

idc about the spacial audio or losless audio, but if this problem isn't recognized any time soon, I might switch to spotify or deezer. Just want to listen to my songs offline

249 replies

Jun 25, 2021 12:31 PM in response to Héctorlopez

For me, the only thing that has seemed to work reliably so far has been disabling Lossless Audio entirely under Settings → Music → Audio Quality.

Here’s what I did:

1. Delete all downloaded music.
  2. Disable Lossless Audio.
  3. The songs that consistently stopped at 15s started playing in full again.
  4. Reenable Lossless Audio, with Cellular Streaming set to either High Efficiency or High Quality (I was not in WiFi range). Songs that got stuck at 15s immediately started getting stuck again.
  5. Disable Lossless Audio.
  6. The same songs played fine past 15s.

I also tried changing Dolby Atmos On/Off/Automatic; that made no difference. Right now I have it set to On, with no problem whatsoever.

I know this problem has been observed to start happening again at random even if a solution seemed to “fix” it, but so far I haven’t had any issues. The fact that the problem instantly goes away if I disable Lossless Audio, and instantly comes back if I reenable it, gives me a reasonable degree of confidence that disabling Lossless Audio is the workaround for now.

I’m not sure if deleting all downloaded music is necessary, but if you still experience problems after disabling Lossless Audio, try deleting your local songs as well.

Jul 1, 2021 2:46 AM in response to the_fury_2000

Yeah, this is an incredibly frustrating issue that's been affecting me too. Have tried many of the recommended fixes here and some of them work temporarily, but none permanently. Seems like it's an issue that Apple are going to need to patch.

For what it's worth:

• This problem only happens to me in one place - my local gym. I can't get mobile signal in there, nor am I connected to the Wifi.
  • I have only tested it with lossless files downloaded to my device. These work fine in every other location.
  • I am wearing bluetooth earbuds (Sony WF-1000XM3). Again, these work flawlessly everywhere else.

Hoping this gets patched up quickly as it's a bit frustrating not being able to access a service I pay a monthly fee for (and in all likelihood won't be offered any partial refund for). Interesting that it only seems to happen to me in one particular location, mind.

Jul 5, 2021 3:18 AM in response to the_fury_2000

Hi There,

I had this issue and it was resolved with Apple Support in the following steps (direct instructions from Apple Support).

1. In Settings -> Music . Turn of Sync Library, then re-enable.
  2. Sign out and back into Settings > Apple ID > Media & Purchases. Please make sure you remember your Apple ID and password before going through these steps. This will remove all downloads from your Device, without affecting other aspects of your iCloud login on the phone (Apple Pay etc)
  3. Please Disable Settings > Music > Audio Quality > [Lossless] and also Disable Settings > Music > Audio > [Dolby Atmos].
  4. Please Re-enable Settings > Music > Audio Quality > [Lossless] and also Disable Settings > Music > Audio > [Dolby Atmos].
  5. Test by downloading an album, going into Flight mode (or disabling mobile data/wifi) and play - your downloads should now play past 15 seconds in Lossless and Atmos.

I can confirm this worked for me on my iPhone 12 Pro Max - hoping it works for many of you. Be good to know if it does!

Cheers,

Nick

Jul 22, 2021 12:58 PM in response to the_fury_2000

iPhone 11, iOS 14.6: I can confirm that this bug persists even after the following corrective actions were taken:

1. Signed out of iCloud on iPhone, and rebooted
  2. Set 'Dolby Atmos' to Off in Settings>Music

The problem presents itself when music is played back from Apple Music using Bluetooth, the internal iPhone speaker, and an external USB DAC (this DAC has worked well with my iPhones in the past).

Is there a fix for this issue? The Apple recommended fix doesn't fix the problem.

Jun 16, 2021 9:30 AM in response to the_fury_2000

It's something software related obviously... Because every day when i bike to school, i can listen perfectly with my wireless headphones, but on my way back (about 2-4 hours later) The songs start behaving this way...

It's a temporary fix, but in my case, it's with about 80% of my library, so signing out of Icloud and signing in again would help, but I'd have to reinstall al of my songs, which in my case takes an eternity (about 6000 songs). I just found out that if I listen through my wired headphones, the songs do play.

Weirdly enough, the songs do play over my wireless headphones after listening wired. (you'd have to do it for every song independently tho)

Hope this can be a temporary fix for y'all?

Untill apple solves this sh!tsh0w...

Jun 16, 2021 9:36 AM in response to yorick225

Mine is a little bit worse, it stops playing with everything (car, wireless and wired headphones, Bluetooth speakers) I hope Apple fixes it fast, since the launch of Atmos, lossless and spatial audio I’ve had issues but every day they’ve gotten worse, to the point of Apple Music becoming absolutely useless to me. In the meantime I started my free trial of YouTube Music lol.

Jun 16, 2021 12:18 PM in response to McDuck69

Try Amazon Music HD. The HD is included in the standard subscription, the iPhone app allows you to cast to Airplay AND Echo speakers. And it even tells you what the file bitrate/resolution (ex. 16-bit/48kHz or 24-bit/96kHz) and the device resolution are as well as the whatever device you are casting to. It's fabulous, really. Yeah I know, you've got Apple Music and you are invested in Apple gear. I am just now trying the 3 month Apple Music trial and it isn't worth the switch. I chose Amazon music because the Echo devices are agnostic when it comes to the streaming services and because the curated playlists are more vast. For instance, I like to listen to smooth jazz, 70's disco, 40's classics, etc. Apple has one playlist for jazz and it's a mix of anything ever even classified as jazz - so it's useless. Also, I can ask for happy music, sad music, nighttime, or any other mood music and Amazon picks a reasonable playlist for me. As far as picking specific songs and making a playlist, either service does great.

Sure wish they would fix this Dolby issue.!

Jun 18, 2021 5:30 AM in response to the_fury_2000

its quite odd but i found out that it works occasionally when you plug a cable into the lightning port without the other end connected to anything. so essentially just plugging in without charging. songs play even with both atmos and lossless enabled. this works for iphones with a headphone jack, so the SE (1st gen) and 6s, 6s Plus

Apple Music stopping after 15 seconds. Error code 16833

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.