Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

CPU severely throttled within 5-10 minutes of heavy workload and stays like that for a long time

Macbook Pro 16 Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 2.40 GHz, AMD Radeon 5500M

I'm not sure if it's because of overheating but something seems wrong as of recently - after only minutes of heavy workload the laptop gets quite warm and the CPU throttling kicks in severely, i.e. from 2.4Ghz to 800Mhz. I ran a CPU benchmark and it gets only 3500 out of vs average 15800 and the whole OS becomes extremely unresponsive (much worse e.g. than my old Macbook Air).

This state continues even when the temperatures come down, i.e. now CPU cores are registering 55-60C and it's still running at 800 Mhz, very slowly.

I just ran diagnostics and nothing is showing up.

Posted on Jun 11, 2021 1:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 11, 2021 9:49 AM

It sounds like you have a power issue rather than a temperature issue. Power issues can cause the laptop to run the CPUs at idle speeds.

Try an SMC Reset.

Also disconnect all external devices from the laptop in case one of them is causing a problem.

You can also run the Apple Diagnostics to see if any hardware issues are detected. However, a passing diagnostic does not mean there are not hardware issues.

If this does not help, then you should have Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider examine the laptop to provide you with a repair estimate.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 11, 2021 9:49 AM in response to btknda

It sounds like you have a power issue rather than a temperature issue. Power issues can cause the laptop to run the CPUs at idle speeds.

Try an SMC Reset.

Also disconnect all external devices from the laptop in case one of them is causing a problem.

You can also run the Apple Diagnostics to see if any hardware issues are detected. However, a passing diagnostic does not mean there are not hardware issues.

If this does not help, then you should have Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider examine the laptop to provide you with a repair estimate.

CPU severely throttled within 5-10 minutes of heavy workload and stays like that for a long time

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.