Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Feature Gone From Smart Albums?

I have these albums in my Photos library labelled "Images over 15 MB", "Images under 15 MB", and the same thing for videos but with 100mb. I made them in 2019. There are thousands of photos in each, so no way I manually selected them. I want to update them to be current, but I cannot figure out for the life of me how I did it the first time! There's no option for file size as a query in smart albums, it seems. Is it possible this was a smart album and then Apple removed the feature so it converted to a regular album?

Posted on Jun 11, 2021 6:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 11, 2021 11:41 PM

Photos had never the ability to use the file size in a smart album, like aperture had.

Perhaps you have been using an Apple Script to create the albums?

For example, this Apple Script can partition a set of selected photos into two albums, according to the file size:

See: Script: How to find videos and photos in your Photos Library smaller than a given file size… - Apple Community

If your system is running macOS 10.15 or later the scripts do no longer work well, if we select photos in a smart album or an album that is not the top level album. In that case you should select all photo either in All Photos or a top level standard album, not an album nested in a folder. I am now creating temporary albums at the top level to allow me to select photos before running a script.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 11, 2021 11:41 PM in response to HarrisonMG

Photos had never the ability to use the file size in a smart album, like aperture had.

Perhaps you have been using an Apple Script to create the albums?

For example, this Apple Script can partition a set of selected photos into two albums, according to the file size:

See: Script: How to find videos and photos in your Photos Library smaller than a given file size… - Apple Community

If your system is running macOS 10.15 or later the scripts do no longer work well, if we select photos in a smart album or an album that is not the top level album. In that case you should select all photo either in All Photos or a top level standard album, not an album nested in a folder. I am now creating temporary albums at the top level to allow me to select photos before running a script.

Feature Gone From Smart Albums?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.