Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why doesn't Apple Photos allow the creation of Smart Albums to query by File size ?

Why doesn't Apple Photos allow the creation of Smart Albums to query by File size ?

It would be so helpful and useful to have this feature for seperating digital content.

Also, why did they (Apple) choose to abandon the Star-Ratings? FAVORITES is okay for marking the best overall images but there are other levels of rating your photos and digital content that was perfectly suited to the Star-Rating idea.

It seems like Apple keeps trying to be WINDOWS and for Mac users -- that's a HORRIBLE idea and one that will earn them (Apple) the same distain!

Does Anyone out there feel that WE could benefit from a feature like this? I've seen this question asked as far back as Nov, 2010.

Thank You, Everyone

Posted on Dec 27, 2021 9:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 27, 2021 10:12 PM

When I want to filter my photos by the file size or the dimensions I am searching with an Apple Script.

Here are some scripts I am frequently using:

Or, if you install the free trial version of PowerPhotos, you can browse your Photos Library in a list view with the metadata and file size displayed in column. It is easy to find the largest image files this way - just click the size column to sort the items descending by size:

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 27, 2021 10:12 PM in response to Onxy

When I want to filter my photos by the file size or the dimensions I am searching with an Apple Script.

Here are some scripts I am frequently using:

Or, if you install the free trial version of PowerPhotos, you can browse your Photos Library in a list view with the metadata and file size displayed in column. It is easy to find the largest image files this way - just click the size column to sort the items descending by size:

Dec 27, 2021 11:23 AM in response to Onxy

How to use these forums:

This is the correct forum to ask about the features of Photos or to give constructive feedback on Photos. But you cannot rely on the Apple Developer team to see each and every contribution here in our user to user forum. If you want to make a feature request, it is much better to use the feedback form pointed out by Tony.

And the second problem is, that we are here guests of Apple, and the Apple Support Communities Use Agreement - Apple Community is requiring us, as polite guests of Apple, to refrain from discussions of Apple policies (B.1.ii) and to refrain from posting polls. With phrases like "Does Anyone out there feel that ..." we are already in violation of the use agreement.

But it is perfectly alright to point out problems and missing features and to make suggestions for improvements and feature requests.

About star ratings - I support your request:

I am also missing the star ratings and the flags that we had in iPhotos and Aperture.

As a work-around, I am using keywords, but it is tricky, because the behaviour of the searches and keywords keeps changing between system versions, and so the use of keywords as a work-around for rating stars is not stable across system versions.

Dec 27, 2021 11:45 AM in response to Onxy

I know of no photography manager that searches on file size. Not even Adobe's Lightroom Classic, pretty much the industry standard, searches file size. It does search on image dimensions and megapixel count but not on kilobytes and megabytes. Maybe file size is not as useful or helpful for most people as you might think. There are perfectly simple ways to work around star ratings - using keywords for instance.

Photos is a giveaway app. Like any app it's worth exactly what you paid for it. The good news is that it is not mandatory and there are plenty of alternatives. You should feel empowered to research those to see if they meet your needs better than Photos does.

Declaring that Macs are somehow trying to be Windows and that this is horrible is so 1999. Been so long since I've seen that thrown out there I got nostalgic for a bit.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.