Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ethernet connected Router, TV, and Apple TV; but Apple TV is going wacky

Apple TV 4K is Ethernet connected, as are all devices. Still, because Apple TV 4K displays 'an unexpected error occurred' and fails to display any further screens, I can't use this Apple TV for TV programs, I can't use this Apple TV for my 19 Purchased Movies 'because that screen says 'You haven't purchased any movies.'

Indeed, this Apple TV 4K fails to go to any other screen when I try to browse, except to display a 'not connecting' signal image. Still, when I visit the AppStore on my Mac, installing the Apple TV app fails to work. It could be my old Laptop (mid 2009 MacBook Pro OS X El Capitan 10.11.6

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 14

Posted on Jun 12, 2021 4:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 13, 2021 12:55 PM

Hi ChipDale,

We appreciate you reaching out to us about this matter and are here to help. We would like to ask you a couple of questions in order to get a better understanding. First, have you updated the T.V's firmware? Updating while simple can help resolve most minor issues. Also, do you have another Apple TV? If so, does the same issue happen on that device? Finally, have you by any chance signed out of your Apple ID recently or sign into a different one?

We thank you for your answers, they will help guide us to the next troubleshooting step.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 13, 2021 12:55 PM in response to ChipDale

Hi ChipDale,

We appreciate you reaching out to us about this matter and are here to help. We would like to ask you a couple of questions in order to get a better understanding. First, have you updated the T.V's firmware? Updating while simple can help resolve most minor issues. Also, do you have another Apple TV? If so, does the same issue happen on that device? Finally, have you by any chance signed out of your Apple ID recently or sign into a different one?

We thank you for your answers, they will help guide us to the next troubleshooting step.

Jun 13, 2021 1:40 PM in response to ChipDale

Hi ChipDale,

We appreciate your time and thank you for partnering up with us to resolve this issue. Just to clarify, have you signed into a different Apple ID recently or signed out? We know troubleshooting can be at some points extensive but nonetheless we are here with you every step of the way to find a resolution. Plus it can possibly save you some money not having to purchase a new device. That being said, we understand if you would not like to continue but look forward to your decision.

Kindest regards!

Jun 13, 2021 3:34 PM in response to CarlAVII

I swapped the 'failing Apple TV 4K unit for another Apple TV 4K unit from another room. The other room unit

is good as a replacement; the failed

unit still fails in the other room.

I'll stay with my plan to resolve this

issue by replacing the failed unit with a new Apple TV 4K unit.

My home is Wired Ethernet 5e; each Apple TV unit is Ethernet connected. My Apple Router operates without fault.

Ethernet connected Router, TV, and Apple TV; but Apple TV is going wacky

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.