Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mail password

I have not had to use my password in Mac Mail for a long time and cannot remember what it is. I would like to be able to change it but the instructions for doing so have not worked. My latest attempt is to navigate to

Mail -> Preferences -> Accounts

and select the account from the pane on the left. Well I only have one account there called iCloud IMAP. Now when I select Server Settings tab from the right pane, it does not list any server settings at all, it simply has a single dropdown menu labelled Outgoing Mail Account which has the value 'iCloud'. The only other choices in the dropdown are 'None' and 'Edit SMTP Server List...' Clicking on this last one reveals another window with no servers listed and 'No Selection' in all the fields. Clicking on the Advanced tab reveals only that there is no TLS certificate and no way to specify one.

What I would really like to do is to connect a different email client to my iCloud account and need all the server settings data to set it up. Does Apple prevent me from doin this?

Posted on Jun 12, 2021 8:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 12, 2021 8:49 PM

Mail server settings for iCloud email clients

Use these mail server settings if you need to manually set up your email app (client) to use an iCloud email account. 

Do you need these mail server settings?

You can use the mail server settings in this article to manually set up your email app to send and receive email with an iCloud email account. However, you shouldn't need to do that if you meet iCloud system requirements and can use any of these setup methods:

Mail server settings

Refer to your email app's documentation for information about how to use these settings. iCloud Mail uses the IMAP and SMTP standards supported by most modern email apps. iCloud does not support POP. If you set up an account using iCloud System Preferences or macOS Mail in 10.7.4 or later, you won't see these settings because they're automatically configured.

IMAP information for the incoming mail server

• Server name: imap.mail.me.com
  • SSL Required: Yes
  • If you see an error message when using SSL, try using TLS instead.
  • Port: 993
  • Username: This is usually the name part of your iCloud email address (for example, emilyparker, not emilyparker@icloud.com). If your email client can't connect to iCloud using just the name part of your iCloud email address, try using the full address.
  • Password: Generate an app-specific password.

SMTP information for the outgoing mail server

• Server name: smtp.mail.me.com
  • If you see an error message when using SSL, try using TLS or STARTTLS instead.
  • Port: 587
  • SMTP Authentication Required: Yes
  • Username: Your full iCloud email address (for example, emilyparker@icloud.com, not emilyparker)
  • Password: Use the app-specific password that you generated when you set up the incoming mail server.

Also...

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203528

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 12, 2021 8:49 PM in response to p01ygam3

Mail server settings for iCloud email clients

Use these mail server settings if you need to manually set up your email app (client) to use an iCloud email account. 

Do you need these mail server settings?

You can use the mail server settings in this article to manually set up your email app to send and receive email with an iCloud email account. However, you shouldn't need to do that if you meet iCloud system requirements and can use any of these setup methods:

Mail server settings

Refer to your email app's documentation for information about how to use these settings. iCloud Mail uses the IMAP and SMTP standards supported by most modern email apps. iCloud does not support POP. If you set up an account using iCloud System Preferences or macOS Mail in 10.7.4 or later, you won't see these settings because they're automatically configured.

IMAP information for the incoming mail server

• Server name: imap.mail.me.com
  • If you see an error message when using SSL, try using TLS instead.
  • Port: 993
  • Username: This is usually the name part of your iCloud email address (for example, emilyparker, not emilyparker@icloud.com). If your email client can't connect to iCloud using just the name part of your iCloud email address, try using the full address.
  • Password: Generate an app-specific password.

SMTP information for the outgoing mail server

• Server name: smtp.mail.me.com
  • If you see an error message when using SSL, try using TLS or STARTTLS instead.
  • Port: 587
  • SMTP Authentication Required: Yes
  • Username: Your full iCloud email address (for example, emilyparker@icloud.com, not emilyparker)
  • Password: Use the app-specific password that you generated when you set up the incoming mail server.

Also...

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203528

Mac Mail password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.