Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

problem with VoiceOver

Why does my Mac keep talking to me as I type? Yes I've been to VoiceOver and made sure it's not enabled, and yes I've tried command-f5. Nothing seems to stop it.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jun 12, 2021 9:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 13, 2021 1:31 PM

Hello, luigifun.

I see you've visited the VoiceOver System Preferences, but have you also looked specifically at the Speech panel of the Accessibility pane? Even though VoiceOver is disabled, your Mac may still be able to speak text under certain circumstances.

Make sure that the checkboxes for - Enable announcements, Speak selected text..., and Speak items under the pointer are all unchecked.

Also under Accessibility, scroll down to Keyboard in the left side of the pane and uncheck the box for "Enable Typing Feedback".

I think one of these items may be causing the grief you are experiencing. If not, please come back and let us know. Maybe someone can offer another suggestion.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 13, 2021 1:31 PM in response to luigifun

Hello, luigifun.

I see you've visited the VoiceOver System Preferences, but have you also looked specifically at the Speech panel of the Accessibility pane? Even though VoiceOver is disabled, your Mac may still be able to speak text under certain circumstances.

Make sure that the checkboxes for - Enable announcements, Speak selected text..., and Speak items under the pointer are all unchecked.

Also under Accessibility, scroll down to Keyboard in the left side of the pane and uncheck the box for "Enable Typing Feedback".

I think one of these items may be causing the grief you are experiencing. If not, please come back and let us know. Maybe someone can offer another suggestion.

problem with VoiceOver

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.