Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does Apple Music keep pausing on iPhone?

Hey so I have an Iphone 12 pro and ever since I updated my iphone to IOS 14.6 I decided to redownload some tracks to get Dolby Atmos and lossless but for whatever reason occasionally my apple music will pause tracks randomly or disconnect devices from my phone whenever I listen to music. For example I went for a walk and multiple times my iphone kept pausing my music when connected to my wored apple earbuds but when I kept taking my iphone out of my pocket it was resolved but when I put it back in it would pause. even when I restarted my phone it still happened 2 more times before it resolved and I could continue my walk with my music not bugging out anymore. And again now for the 3rd day im listening to music off my bluetooth speaker now and it just completely disconnected from my speaker first and then afterwards an hour later it decided to pause my music when I was not even doing anything. I find it weird and I think its a bug for the iOS software and im wondering if anyone else is having this problem and is there a way to fix this without just restarting my iphone cause its getting annoying to do. Thanks

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 12 Pro

Posted on Jun 14, 2021 1:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 25, 2021 1:00 PM

This is also happening while I use Apple Music, regardless of where my phone is. It randomly pauses or disconnects from my Solo Pro or AirPods Pro when it is just sitting on my desk at work, so there is no random input happening. These issues occur at home and at work though. Sometimes the volume will randomly turn all the way down too. My phone will also disconnect from my vehicle’s Bluetooth when I listen to Apple Music also. None of these issues occur with Spotify.

62 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 25, 2021 1:00 PM in response to Ablades

This is also happening while I use Apple Music, regardless of where my phone is. It randomly pauses or disconnects from my Solo Pro or AirPods Pro when it is just sitting on my desk at work, so there is no random input happening. These issues occur at home and at work though. Sometimes the volume will randomly turn all the way down too. My phone will also disconnect from my vehicle’s Bluetooth when I listen to Apple Music also. None of these issues occur with Spotify.

Jun 18, 2021 7:23 PM in response to Ablades

I am having the same issue with the music pausing since upgrading to 14.6 on my 12 Pro Max. Mine isn’t only with the device in my pocket though, and only seems to be occurring with Apple Music. If I use another service the problem magically goes away. I have also been having an issue with the phone randomly disconnecting from CarPlay after a minute or two in the car since the upgrade.

Feb 1, 2022 8:43 PM in response to kenfrommcgregor

Hello. There is a related discussion involving work-arounds for distance and time notifications that have stopped while using the default Apple Activity App, the one with the 3 red, green, and blue rings. When the free Runkeeper App is used in place of the Apple Activity App, distance and time notifications resume at intervals that are chosen in the App's settings.

But there's also another benefit. The random events of audio pausing for music, audiobooks, and other media either entirely stops, or these incidents are greatly reduced.

Please take a look at this discussion: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253440262?answerId=256787378022#256787378022

You may want to try using the Runkeeper App in the background, if it is available for your iPod Touch, even if you are not concerned with tracking your activities. Just try 30-minute How Often / Time settings in this App, or even try using the On Demand Only setting.

This random pausing issue seems to be a coding conflict in the ever present default Apple Exercise App, and the IOS update beginning with IOS 15.2, and continuing with 15.2.1 and 15.3.

I opened a support ticket with Apple on this issue, sent them tracking data for my Apple Watch 6, and iPhone 12 Pro Max, and was told by an Apple advisor that this is now considered to be an active issue on which Apple engineers are worked to resolve.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if it works for you.

Jun 15, 2021 11:34 AM in response to Ablades

Hi there Ablades,

We understand you're experiencing issues with your music pausing when your iPhone is in your pocket, and disconnecting from Bluetooth.

For the pausing issue, since this only occurs when the device is in your pocket, this may be due to unintentional contact with the screen causing it to pause. To prevent this, try placing the iPhone in a different orientation or pocket.

For the Bluetooth disconnection issue, do you experience this with different Bluetooth accessories, or only one device?

If this only occurs with one Bluetooth accessory, reach out to the accessory manufacturer for additional assistance.

If this happens with every Bluetooth accessory you connect the iPhone to, head to Settings > Bluetooth (not Control Center) and turn this off and back on. Should the issue persist, restart both devices and try again.

Thanks!

Jun 27, 2021 6:34 AM in response to Ablades

i'm having these same issues since updating to 14.6, as well as songs pausing at 15 seconds in. when this happens, i'm unable to unpause, fast-forward, or restart the song. the only fix i've found to work is redownloading whichever songs are affected. it only happens in apple music. it happens regardless of if i'm using headphones, bluetooth, or playing music out of the phone speakers, and it happens regardless of if my phone is in my hand, pocket, or sitting on a table.

Jul 29, 2021 10:57 PM in response to BDLNDS

Try deactivating dolby atmos in the audio section for apple music in the settings. Not entirely sure if it works perfectly but I just tried it right now and doesn’t seem to have a problem so far. Hope this can help everyone. Guess we’ll just have to wait for apple to fix this issue til we can all listen to the lossless tracks

Aug 8, 2021 2:44 PM in response to Erica_S1

I have this pausing problem also on my iPhone 12 Pro max. FW version is 14.7..1.

When I’m out cutting the yard listening to podcast with my AirPods max. The sound keeps pausing and I have to go to the phone screen to restart. The podcast is downloaded not streaming. I took the phone out of my pocket and put it on the deck of my mower so nothing touches the screen. The pausing still occurs. The pausing occurs many times while cutting the yard. It also happens while using the Audible app.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Guy

Why does Apple Music keep pausing on iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.